The Clash

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
expomick
Intermediate Member

Re: The Clash

Post by expomick »

Geesh, what fine Canadian city was that???

And I thought the suburbs of Ottawa were bad.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

St John's, Newfoundland.
expomick
Intermediate Member

Post by expomick »

No, say it ain't so, laddy. you'd think my ancestoral cousins of the fine island of Newfoudland would understand about being an outsider, about being apart from the mainstream.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

It was moving 'back home' for my parents. Newfies are wonderfully hospitable, unless you are CFA (come from away) starting at an all boys Catholic high school with a bunch of kids who have all known each other since kindergarten. And you've got a funny hair cut. :)
Anyways, after about 3 weeks of trying to fit in, there was a minor incident at school and I vowed that I was going to go out of my way to not fit in. Then I discovered the Clash, made a handful of oddball friends and spent the next few years thumbing my nose at the general populace.
TheBeat

Post by TheBeat »

captsandwich wrote:It was moving 'back home' for my parents. Newfies are wonderfully hospitable, unless you are CFA (come from away) starting at an all boys Catholic high school with a bunch of kids who have all known each other since kindergarten. And you've got a funny hair cut. :)
Anyways, after about 3 weeks of trying to fit in, there was a minor incident at school and I vowed that I was going to go out of my way to not fit in. Then I discovered the Clash, made a handful of oddball friends and spent the next few years thumbing my nose at the general populace.

It's stories like these that prove to me how important the Clash were, not just as musicians and i do consider them all fine musicians, but also as people, their genorisity to their fans is legendary in the way that they used to invite them back to after gig booze ups and even let fans sleep in their rooms.

All of the stuff that Mick Jones has done with BAD and Carbon Silicon, who gave free downloads of all their material, not to forget Paul Simonon's Havana 3AM with the late great Nigel Dixon, some really good tunes on that one....all of it has it's merits. Even the stuff they did with Ellen Foley, who Mick was shaggin' at the time, stands the test of time...Spirit Of St Louis basically a Clash album without Joe on lead vocals.

I remember having the whole of one wall in my bedroom plastered with the covers from a London Calling shop display...i also remember having to take the album back 5 times before i got one that wasn't a faulty pressing...and of course i remember seeing them in Edinburgh and Glasgow...the Glasgow show being an experience, that'll never be forgotten :lol:
expomick
Intermediate Member

Post by expomick »

Hey, I am rather fond of the Spirit of St. Louis album. I think about half of it is a Clash album, with Ellen Foley on vocals. I gotta transfer mine to CD.
Thanks for bringing that up!
TheBeat

Post by TheBeat »

expomick wrote:Hey, I am rather fond of the Spirit of St. Louis album. I think about half of it is a Clash album, with Ellen Foley on vocals. I gotta transfer mine to CD.
Thanks for bringing that up!
Aye it's a pretty good album in it's own right...i also own Night Out which features the likes of Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson of Mott the Hoople, the latter were one of mick Jones' favourite bands..also one of my favourites> Ian Hunters solo stuff is very good too, check out All American Alien Boy, if you haven't already...a certain Mr Pastorius plays bass on it.
scotty

Post by scotty »

This is my favorite cover of all time of the classic Toots & the Maytals- Pressure Drop.After hearing this for the first time it wasn't off my turntable in weeks.This also was a fav of my wife`s who incidentally we met a at scooter rally outside Glasgow.Still married still skanking. :lol:
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

Yeah, I like 'em.

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”