Gary 'Mani' Mounfield

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Chris P

Gary 'Mani' Mounfield

Post by Chris P »

Some days ago I got the new Primal Scream album and Mani's basslines are great again! More fans of the man here?

With Primal Scream he always plays an Autumnglo 3000 with a whote guard and for The Stone Roses he used several 4005s. I saw him once (Wit Paul Weller and Graham Coxon) with a Gibson SG Reissue Bass.
chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Re: Gary 'Mani' Mounfield

Post by chronictown »

Mani's the Man :mrgreen:

He was using that 3000 by the end of The Stone Roses, although when I saw them in Toronto in '95 (after Reni left) he was playing a Gibson IIRC. Did he play more than one 4005? I've seen early footage of him playing his ('70s, I think) mapleglo 4005 prior to Squire painting it a la Jackson Pollack. Love the paint job! I wonder if he still owns/plays that particular instrument.
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Chris P wrote:Some days ago I got the new Primal Scream album and Mani's basslines are great again! More fans of the man here?

With Primal Scream he always plays an Autumnglo 3000 with a whote guard and for The Stone Roses he used several 4005s. I saw him once (Wit Paul Weller and Graham Coxon) with a Gibson SG Reissue Bass.
Yeah, he's a superb. A real groove player. The Weller/Coxon was on the Jonathon Ross chat show wasn't it? I liked the look and sound of the SG bass on that night. The Rickenbackers look the business.
32508_2.jpg
guitar_mani.jpg
Mani-Roses.jpg
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

photo20041107020230.jpg
PrimalScreamBassistAndSingerShareKiss.jpg
primalscream-KU278-061118.jpg
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

...and one more.
StoneRoses2.jpg
Chris P

Post by Chris P »

chronictown wrote:Mani's the Man :mrgreen:
Did he play more than one 4005? I've seen early footage of him playing his ('70s, I think) mapleglo 4005 prior to Squire painting it a la Jackson Pollack. Love the paint job! I wonder if he still owns/plays that particular instrument.
I try to get him for an interview for years now, but no results yet..
I didn't knew he already used the 3000 for TSR. Thanks!

About the 4005s. i have to watch the TSR DVD again, but I thought I saw different 4005s. I'll come back to that!
red_rob
Intermediate Member

Post by red_rob »

I think he only had the one 4005. At least that he used for live/TV work anyway.
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

There is a 4005 JG (or possibly a BG - it looks a little red when you zoom in) and the MG which was splatter painted in the pics above, plus I'm pretty sure that I've seen him with a FG 4005 on TV. Either way I like what he does with 'em.
Chris P

Post by Chris P »

I'm watchring the DVD right now; the second one in the box with TV appearances.

On their first TV appearances (and the first on the DVD) he just the Pollock-style 4005. On the third appearance at the DVD he has a normal Mapleglo 4005. It could be recorded earlier though...
I didn't watched it that good this time. I'm sure i saw some 'evidence' for more basses last time I watched it...

Where did you see the dark-coloured one, Godber?
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

I have mentioned this story before but if you want to know a bit more about the 4005 here it is again....
I tried the 4005 in A1 Music Manchester in the late 80s.
It was in mint condition MG probably late 60s and was going for £699!
I was in there to buy a twelve string acoustic for a couple of hundred quid for some demos I was working on.
It did cross my mind to get some credit to buy the 4005 but I was a bit short of money generally and my wife would have gone mad at me for buying yet another Rick.
At the time I had RM DA24 which was a great bass and I was thinking of getting a V63 at some point for onstage as the RM was getting a bit too delicate for taking out.
when I went back to A1 the Roses had bought the 4005 and the next time I saw it they had painted over it.
As a bass connected to a well known band it would now have that value added to it.
At the time however they werent anything special and it looked like yet another butchered 60s Rick.
Where it came from prior to A1 music I really have no idea.
Chris P

Post by Chris P »

Cool story Peter!

I wonder what would have happened if you bought the 4005 and Mani went home with an Ibanez or so which was gathering dust there...;)
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Chris P wrote:...Where did you see the dark-coloured one, Godber?
Chris - The first picture above shows the dark one -

download/file.php?id=6386&mode=view
Chris P

Post by Chris P »

Sorry, I didn't looked gooed before. Looks like BG to me, by sometimes it's hard to see on pics.
Chris P

Post by Chris P »

The latest German 'Guitarre Und Bass' features a Mani-interview. I haven't read it yet, but it's also about his 3000s and 4005s. As soon as I read it I'll try to translate and post some important quotes!
scotty

Post by scotty »

Mani is a great bass player! i think hes great

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”