Rick-N-Punk

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Re: Rick-N-Punk

Post by sowhat »

Well, just a couple of examples.

The 2nd one doesn't really sound like punk (musically), but for some reason they are called a punk band.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

The first one was kinda rockin', really cool dual Rick guitar and bass. Guitar player very much likes stickers.

The second one, the guy looks like if Paul Simon and Kieth Moon had a son,this would be him. Perhaps it's the subject matter that earns them a punk classification, because musically they are almost like hotel lounge jazz/pop, very mellow and unoffensive. Cool cartoon.

Thanks for sharing.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

whojamfan wrote:The second one, the guy looks like if Paul Simon and Kieth Moon had a son,this would be him. Perhaps it's the subject matter that earns them a punk classification, because musically they are almost like hotel lounge jazz/pop, very mellow and unoffensive. Cool cartoon.
Yep, and their name as well. It's not something i would use in front of the children or on a public forum.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Anybody remember a band called "the Sidewinders" from Arizona? I had a tape of them my bassplayers husband made me when I lived in Germany in the late 80s/early 90s and they used Ricks. Kind of like the Ramones meet the Gin Blossoms, very jangly and edgey, and did a great cover of Loves 7 and 7 is.
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

The Sidewinders were great!!!!! My band in college covered a couple of their tunes (Sarah's Not Sober and Blood on Our Hands) from Auntie Ramos' Pool Hall. I don't think we knew all of the lyrics to their songs, but they were fun to play. I could actually play lead to those songs!!!

I think the band had quite a transient flow of members, but they were really good and I saw them play in NYC once. If you can find their cds, buy them, as they are a bit uncommon and the material is really good. They also had to change their name due to some lawsuit with another band (to sand-rubys?) I still have a couple of their songs in regular rotation on my iPod.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

How cool you not only know of them, but actually covered a few tunes!

Wow, "Sarahs not sober", that guy wrote a whole album about that chick, and that last song, "Little Boy", is a real bummer. I still have that on cassette with an Australian band called "Exploding White Mice" who were very first 2 Stooges albums meet the Ramones.That poor tape is ready to die, it wasn't the best to begin with, and I've had it since 1989.
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Are the Replacements considered punk?
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

Good question about the 'Mats. If I had a playlist on my iPod called "Ramones and Friends" :D I would have them on it.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

The Replacements were definitely punk, and definitely drunk! Great band.
expomick
Intermediate Member

Post by expomick »

The Replacements were't (aren't) punk...they are GOD.

(which means they are all).
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Glad to know others here share my love of the Mats. :)
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
rickenmetal

Post by rickenmetal »

Gaye Advert, bass player for the Adverts, sometimes used a Rick bass.
mikethemod1992

Post by mikethemod1992 »

There was a punk band i listened to a while ago called the suicide machines. Their guitarist used Rickenbacker exclusively. Ive seen the adverts with them, the replacements, the chords(mod punk but still), the clash, NY dolls, The Stiv Bators band, the jam, the crabs, pistols, television, subway sect, the members, and im sure there are several more.
Last edited by mikethemod1992 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One Chord is fine, two chords is pushing it, three chords and youre into jazz!"
-Lou Reed
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

mikethemod1992 wrote:There was a punk band i listened to a while ago called the suicide machines. Their guitarist used Rickenbacker exclusively.
Right! Jetglo 330 IIRC.
mikethemod1992

Post by mikethemod1992 »

sloop_john_b wrote:
mikethemod1992 wrote:There was a punk band i listened to a while ago called the suicide machines. Their guitarist used Rickenbacker exclusively.
Right! Jetglo 330 IIRC.
He also had a 330 FG for the first 3 albums i believe
"One Chord is fine, two chords is pushing it, three chords and youre into jazz!"
-Lou Reed

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”