Pole swapping

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

seanyfitz

Pole swapping

Post by seanyfitz »

So i have a short pole toaster that was in a fire. It's very quiet. Needs replacing. Can i remove the pole pieces from it and swap them into one of the several long pole toasters I have collected over the years?
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Pole swapping

Post by jps »

Dang, I thought this thread was going to be about Formula 1 qualifying! :mrgreen:
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, Sean. You mean replacing the short slugs on this "quiet" toaster pu with long ones?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I think he means the old toaster is toast :mrgreen: , and he want to put the short magnets from it into a later toaster that has long magnets in it, right, Sean?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

The answerr is yes they could be swapped, but there is winding differences also. Scatterwound (old) vs computer randomwound (new) and also how many windings (ohm readings) they each have. The new will be 7.4k, the older short ones could be less, but the one I've seen and measured (neck pup in an early 70s 4001 (Teeder's) was at the 7.4k range. Greg and Sergio have more experience with these pickups, maybe they can add.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”