problem with the neck pick up on a 4000 series

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Alex Novac

problem with the neck pick up on a 4000 series

Post by Alex Novac »

hello,
I have a problem with the neck pick up on a 4000 series. a tehnician told me that the file of the coil is broken but he doesn't know the oscillation characteristics of the coil and because of that he won't try to fix it because it might not sound the same.
I've tried to purchase a new pick up but without luck because bridge pickups are hard to find. A friend told me that here i could find someone to help me with my problem to rewind the pick up I don't know if it has other problems. I've heard that mr Sergio silva could help me so i want to know if i can send the pick for repairs. I'm mentioning that I'm from Romania I dont't if there's a problem with the shipment or if is it worth it to try to fix or would it be cheaper to buy a new one. I forgot to mention that the pickup is a high gain one I think.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: problem with the neck pick up on a 4000 series

Post by johnallg »

For a rewind of the one you have, Sergio's your man. I believe something got lost in the translation as I'm not sure what the file of the coil means. I am assuming that means the coil is open.

OH SERGIO!!!!!
Alex Novac

Post by Alex Novac »

my mistake i meant the wire (solenoid) is broken somewhere
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

The older higain pickups (with fiber bobbins) seem to fail quite a lot, I have now had 4 that have died. (two of them are off to Sergio now)
If it is an old one just get it rewound and it will be good for years more!

I believe it is very rare for a newer one to die.....
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Here I am! Feel free to send the defective pickup my way, Alex. Problems with shipping? I can't think of a single one likely to come along. Cheers.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Hi Alex, I am glad Sérgio finally got back to you. :D He will make you bass sound better than you can imagine!
Alex Novac

Post by Alex Novac »

thank you could you tell me plese the adress to wich i can ship the pickup
Alex Novac

Post by Alex Novac »

I've shipped the pick up yesterday it should arrive in roughly a week or something like that they told me,
however i"ve made a mistake with the translation wich i haven't noticed until i took out the pick up it's the bridge pickup (the one with the metal cover) but i don't think it sould be a problem with that.
again many thanks
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Be sure to let us know how you like the pickup once you have it back in the bass. :D I think you will be falling in love with your bass all over again!
Alex Novac

Post by Alex Novac »

I have a question for sergio I want to know if he has sent the pickup because if he sent it there must be a problem with the postal service because I haven't received it yet (sometimes it takes a lot to receive something I've ordered something from the US from Massachusetts and received it after more than a month and the notification that I have received the product two weeks after it has arrived at the post office in my city)
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Uh-oh! Yes, Alex, I did return the (working) treble pickup to you a couple days after I received it. This was some weeks back.
I certainly don't mean to be a downer, but there have been a couple "horror stories" where parts I shipped to foreign countries got lost in the mail or took as long as many months to reach their destinations.
Let's wait a little while longer and see what happens. Regards.
Alex Novac

Post by Alex Novac »

I don't know how this is going to sound but I still haven't receive the pickup (I'm still hoping though). The problem is in 15 sept I begin school and all of my basses have problems ( my warwick needs refretting, my electro acoustic bass has a broken pickup) I guess I have to find a way to work it out. Is there any way I can track the the pick up to found out what happened to it? With witch service of mail you've sent it?
Thank you
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Hi Alex.
It certainly sounds to me like the pickup got lost in transit. Alas, I don't think anyone can possibly track it as it wasn't sent via registered mail. Like I said in my previous post though, sometimes a parcel does take months to reach the addressee - I don't know by what bad magic :? Ask forumite Andrew "Wints" Winter about that!
I'll PM you today or tomorrow. Stay in tune.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”