Academy Awards

News, weather & sports

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

sneakers

Academy Awards

Post by sneakers »

What was that crank, stringed instrument that Sting was playing at the Oscars last night. I really wanted to check it out thoroughly, but I couldn't take my eyes off Allison Krause.
spencer

Post by spencer »

That was a Hurdy-Gurdy, a really old instrument that sounds like a cross between violins and bagpipes. It has two drone strings on the sides the melody strings run up through a keyboard box, that are tuned in unison. I built one for my thesis project in college. He didn't play any melody on it though, just the drone. I'm not a big fan of the oscars, but I did stop to watch that part.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

did anyone else notice when Julia Roberts walked out the orchestra Played Lennon's "Julia"?
rictified

Post by rictified »

I hope I don't PO anyone off here, but is there anything Sting WON'T DO for attention? I thought his presense there was superfluous at best.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I'm a big fan of Sting, but he does come across as pretentious. And his harmonies weren't that good last night.
rickde

Post by rickde »

I am also a big Sting fan, but I think he is just a whore for attention. He shows-up all over the place. I even remember one time he sang with the Backstreet Boys on a VH1 show. Aweful.

Return to “News At 11”