Book Deal

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
royclough
RRF Consultant

Book Deal

Post by royclough »

I am pleased to let you know that Frank Allen of The Searchers, the bassist of 44 years now, has finally got a publishing deal for a book he has written on the career of The Searchers (to date I hasten to add).

It is looking like it could be February or March before it's published some amendments and alterations being done.

Not sure what title will be yet, Frank did not it appears want to go with my suggestion (well it is his book) I thought it was quite good actually

Still Searchin' - Frank Allen

Some in US and Canada may not be aware that Mr Allen is no stranger to literary circles.

About 4 years ago he had a book published called Travelling Man which was not all about The Searchers but more an amusing and sometimes irreverent look at a lifetime of travel from a member of one of the most enduring groups from the 60s.

He's also had a number of articles published in the UK tabloid newspapers.
winston
Membership Admin

Re: Book Deal

Post by winston »

Great news Roy,

Let me know when it''s published.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: It will be nice to see Frank's take on The Searchers' History. After 44 years he should have a wealth of experience to offer. I have wondered what the title would be.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

The Searchers And Me was what he seemed to favour, when we discussed a title, he insists it is me rather than I.

Still think mine is better.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Your suggestion is better by miles Roy. :wink: IMHO of course
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

royclough wrote:The Searchers And Me was what he seemed to favour, when we discussed a title, he insists it is me rather than I.

Still think mine is better.
"Searchers and Me" — to me it sounds as if he wasn't/isn't a part of the band (same refers to "Searchers and I")... but who am i to criticize? :wink: Um, i meant to say i like your suggestion much more.
BTW, i have a stupid question: wasn't "Travelin' man" a take on the Searchers history? Well, there were chapters in it that perhaps had nothing to do with the Searchers, but still.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

BTW, i have a stupid question: wasn't "Travelin' man" a take on the Searchers history? Well, there were chapters in it that perhaps had nothing to do with the Searchers, but still.
Not a stupid question a very observant one Sheena, because it did cover some topics that are in new book but, the new book, whilst in some parts repeats things to some degree, it does go into more depth in relation to some topics.

Inevitably some will say, he covered that in other book
in relation to certain topics, but I believe he has been very honest in some revelations.
supersaints

Post by supersaints »

See the book is out early April from Auerus(see link below)
http://www.thesearchersandme.com/

It costs 25 pounds plus £5 postage which seems expensive to me. However, it looks like a very interesting read.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

I do find that expensive and to some degree annoying, the book was advertised at £20 including postage from some sites but I mentioned it on another forum, the person who is classed as website co-ordinator, not Frank Allen, contacted publisher and it was cliamed that these other sites should not have been selling the book.

I have a order in at £20 from one site and if they don't honour that price may not bother even though I played a small part in it.
supersaints

Post by supersaints »

I agree...Amazon were advertising cheaper and then suddenly it was unavailable!! The only site at the moment I have come across where it is slightly cheaper is W.H. SMITH where it is still 25 pounds for the book, but only 99p for postage. My gut feeling at the moment is that it is far too expensive for the "casual" reader. I love books and The Searchers BUT I have never paid 25 pounds before!!!!!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

I better not mention that then about W H Smith because that will be stopped too.

It was my understanding that the book was only going to be available through the publisher, at least that is info the person who keeps their website up to date said.

My suggestion for a title Frank Allen didn't like but whilst clearly biased I thought it fiited the career better.

There certainly is nosign of this group stopping thankfully for me, their date sheet uo end of year is packed.

They are in Canada in June by the way if anyone is interested in dates, venues.
supersaints

Post by supersaints »

I cant believe their gigs for this year..they have to be the hardest working band of all eras on the circuit at the moment. How do they do it? I suffered dreadful jet lag after going to Australia for days after. They go on a major Uk tour when they return from Aus!!! Whats their secret?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It is $75.38 Canadian shipped with shipping via surface mail if it is purchased today.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Wow. That's hefty price Peter. I'll wait for the reviews.

einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Just ordered it from the publisher- 33 GBP+, incl. postage (Europe). Not overwhelmingly expensive, rich on pages and illustrations, and covering more than 45 years! Really looking forward to read it. Frank is such a good writer.

Einar

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”