The German Carve

Reports from Germany
admin
Site Admin

The German Carve

Post by admin »

I have recently read an interesting page on the German Carve that I felt would be appropriate for the German Chapter.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
paologregorio

Re: The German Carve

Post by paologregorio »

I'm not German, but I have two 381s, and I studied German for two years at Uni. :D

One of my 381s has an Accent.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Wow what a great read thanks for the post Peter check out the Wood grain on this bad boy
Attachments
route66.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

paologregorio wrote:I'm not German, but I have two 381s, and I studied German for two years at Uni. :D

Is it a German accent? :mrgreen:
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

That's a very young looking Scott Jennings in the photo, err, Scott! :lol:
"If only quilted maple grew on trees!"
http://www.leftyguitars.co.uk
doctorno
RRF Consultant

Post by doctorno »

It might be of interest to some of you that Mittenwald, where Roger Rossmeisl learnt his craft, is still the only place in Germany, where "Zupfinstrumentenmacher" (luthiers) can learn their craft at a special school or "college" for makers of stringed instruments. The regulations about who is allowed to call himself a "Zupfinstrumentenmacher" (luthier) or "Zupfinstrumentenbau-Meister" (master luthier) are very strict in Germany. There are only about 10 people in Germany each year who graduate to be a luthier.

The whole system of learning crafts in Germany has been strictly regulated for hundreds of years - the system is completely different from that in the USA and most other countries.
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

jps wrote:
paologregorio wrote:I'm not German, but I have two 381s, and I studied German for two years at Uni. :D

Is it a German accent? :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
scotty

Post by scotty »

Wow interesting stuff!
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

Watching paint dry is interesting to you Scotty! :lol:
scotty

Post by scotty »

:twisted:
doctorno
RRF Consultant

Post by doctorno »

Wow, English and Scottish rivalry in a thread concerning German carves. Who would have thought of that?
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

doctorno wrote:Wow, English and Scottish rivalry in a thread concerning German carves. Who would have thought of that?
We haven't got going yet. Just wait until we start on football. :evil:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

doctorno wrote:It might be of interest to some of you that Mittenwald, where Roger Rossmeisl learnt his craft, is still the only place in Germany, where "Zupfinstrumentenmacher" (luthiers) can learn their craft at a special school or "college" for makers of stringed instruments. The regulations about who is allowed to call himself a "Zupfinstrumentenmacher" (luthier) or "Zupfinstrumentenbau-Meister" (master luthier) are very strict in Germany. There are only about 10 people in Germany each year who graduate to be a luthier.

The whole system of learning crafts in Germany has been strictly regulated for hundreds of years - the system is completely different from that in the USA and most other countries.
System in the USA? Where?

My father underwent a true apprenticeship (he was a custom upholsterer of the old "spit the tacks" school), but that was well over 50 years ago now. It was sort of tied in with the union. This, though, is pretty much a lost craft except where antiques and high-end stuff is concerned. His last employment was with an interior design firm.

I've investigated the luthiery situation in the USA, with the mind of establishing a luthiery curriculum in the University here, and--surprise!--no "accepted" training regimen. Luthiers here come up through the ranks on all sorts of odd ways (I include myself in this). This has its pluses and minuses, of course, as do many unregulated crafts. Because of the variety of backgrounds and "life journeys", there is a lot of imagination and variety in luthiery (specifically in acoustic guitar building, which is in a "golden age" these days). The downside is that lots of repairmen call themselves "luthiers". I did not use this term ("luthier" :wink: ) until I had a few acoustic guitars to my credit, and still felt that I was jumping the gun a bit, although I'm more comfortable with it nowadays.

If you repair guitars, you are a repairman. If you build solid-bodied electric guitars, you're a solid-bodied electric guitar builder. If you build acoustic stringed instruments, you're a luthier. Kudos to Germany for keeping tradition (and its raison d'ȇtre) alive and supporting it in the educational system.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Is it safe to assume that Graham got the "unsold stock" 360F for $2500? :shock: :shock: :shock:
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Holland has a similar system to that in Germany. When I lived in The Hague, I looked into setting up shop as a metalsmith, but I found the system effectively prevented me from ever presenting my work in an advantageous way. No credential = no value to my work, I couldn't rent or establish a workshop, etc :( my achievements in other schools, experience and portfolio count for little or nothing toward qualification. Otherwise I'd still be living there.
All I wanna do is rock!

Return to “German Chapter: by Markus Horn”