Spanish bands with Rickenbackers

Reports from Spain
rickyvox

Spanish bands with Rickenbackers

Post by rickyvox »

I thought it could be interesting to have some pictures of spanish bands with Rickenbackers.
Let's begin with the two bands we discussed in a prior thread...

The Canaries

Los Salvajes

And now a couple of youtubes, too:

Los Brincos
link

Formula V (from 0:46)
link
miguel
RRF Consultant

Re: Spanish bands with Rickenbackers

Post by miguel »

I have read somewhere that The Canaries recorded their only album at the RCA studios in Hollywood. That was in 1966. Elvis Presley was also using the facilities and The Canaries saw him a couple of times.
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

Here are Los Salvajes in a videoclip from the spanish TV (1967). The song does not reflect their true sound or style, they were more like a cross between the early Stones and the early Who:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHXSpaat ... re=related

If you want to hear the real sound of Los Salvajes, here's 'Soy así', from 1966. All these song were recorded at the EMI studios in Barcelona:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_5_yqVs ... re=related
rickyvox

Post by rickyvox »

Los Salvajes, they were great...
miguel wrote:I have read somewhere that The Canaries recorded their only album at the RCA studios in Hollywood. That was in 1966. Elvis Presley was also using the facilities and The Canaries saw him a couple of times.
It would be good to know about that, Miguel... it's difficult to find good info about that "Flyin High with The Canaries" record. There's another source that says The Canaries recorded at RCA studios in NY, maybe because the record was produced by The Tokens (they were from Brooklyn) and was edited by their label BT Puppy Records (The Chiffons, The Happenings). The Tokens created BT Puppy after they got a big hit with "The Lion Sleeps Tonight".

Another clip of a 80's band from Barcelona with Rickenbackers...
Los Negativos
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

You are right, Julio, I have heard about the New York sessions, although I'm not sure if The Canaries recorded the LP there. It seems that they did visit New York City in 1966. They also played in Virginia and the Carolinas. I have also read somewhere that The Canaries released one single on a Motown subsidiary in 1965!
rickyvox

Post by rickyvox »

Yeah, it's really difficult to know. I'm not an Elvis Presley expert, but I think he made the most of his studio recordings during the 1965-1966 period at RCA Hollywood and Nashville studios. This fact doesn't appear to match with a RCA NY recording, as this other source we referred before stated. Maybe some Elvis expert here can help.
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

I've been doing some research and I've found that the Motown story might be wrong. Bright Tunes wasn't a Motown subsidiary, it was a BT Puppy label. I have contacted The Tokens regarding The Canaries LP. Let's wait and see if I can get some more info! :)
rickyvox

Post by rickyvox »

that's pretty good, Miguel.

don't give up about that single... I've heard about that, too. Someone told me about a single from The Canaries released in USA through a different record company than BT Puppy, with different songs not included in the Bright Tunes LP.
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

Nothing new from The Tokens yet. I have also contacted Eduardo Bautista at the SGAE and they've told me that we will get a reply as soon as possible. Let's wait and see if that's true, I have read that Bautista doesn't like to talk about The Canaries or Los Canarios, which is a shame...
rickyvox

Post by rickyvox »

Miguel, I've found the source where I heard about that lost single.
It says it was released through a Tamla Motown subsidiary.
I wish you are lucky with Bautista, maybe we can confirm all this data.
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

Here is a fab spanish mod band, known for their use of Rickenbackers. They were called Los Flechazos and were active from the late 80's to the late 90's. This song here is titled 'A toda velocidad'. Take a look at the video, is very nice. You'll see a couple of 'Keller' Rickenbackers here: one Jetglo 330 and one 4003 bass:
rickyvox

Post by rickyvox »

Another Rickenbacker guitar + bass sighting: Los Pasos, one of the top 60's bands in Spain, with the great Joaquin Torres playing his original '67 360-12 fireglo, which he got in U.S.A. that year, and used in the last recordings with Los Pasos, at the end of the 60's. Maybe the first 360-12 in Spain, as we talked about before. This film shooting it's from the 80's, doing a medley with some of their best songs for a revival TV show:
link
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

Los Pasos were fantastic, a truly great group. In 1966 - 1967, they were our main folk - rock band, always saying interesting things in the lyrics. Here's a vintage video for all to enjoy! (Sorry, no Ricks here!) ;)
rickyvox

Post by rickyvox »

it's a wonderful song, Miguel... they had a sound of their own, great vocal harmonies and a truly musical talent with Joaquín Torres. The Gretsch White Falcon that he shows in this video was acquired in USA, at the same time he got his 67' 360-12NS fireglo I mentioned before. It's really curious... his 360-12 made just an appereance in the "long Play" movie, but it was in the hands of the guitarrist of another band.
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

I've been told that that Gretsch was prone to feedback like crazy. Torres himself said that. He added that he did prefer to use the Rick for gigs and the Falcon for promo pictures, TV shows... etc.

Return to “Spanish Chapter: by Miguel Valpuesta”