Matt's Vintage Guitars

Reports from Australia
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Matt's Vintage Guitars

Post by simer4001 »

Any of you guys in Australia near Matt's Vintage Guitars in Sydney? They have a Desert Gold available. I'm not sure if they have a store front or not but was looking for a little help checking the bass and the dealer out. Let me know.

Thanks.
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Re: Matt's Vintage Guitars

Post by gellkeller »

Brian, not too sure where they are but I am more than happy to help out if you are keen.

BTW, that has been there for a while. Our dollar has dived recently so it might be a good score for you.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Hi Brian,

I've spoken with Matt before and he's a decent guy. He used to work at Jackson's Rare Guitars, though his prices don't reflect that!

I'll be over in the general area in a week or so to pick up some guitars from the repair man, so I can arrange to have a gander. Brett, if you're dropping down that way, make sure to give Matt a ring first. Last time I spoke his display room was open by appointment only.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

Thanks guys. If either of you make it there let me know what you think. I have been speaking with Matt and am seriously thinking of pulling the trigger. Some of the extra costs are holding me back a bit, but I'm not s8re when I will get another chance.

Thanks again. I appreciate you chiming in.
gregga41
RRF Consultant

Post by gregga41 »

Hey Brian,
I haven't seen tonights news , yet , but as of last night the Aussie dollar was buying 69 US cents.(It was buying 95 US cents 2 weeks ago!) Pull the trigger !!!!
Brett and Evan will look after things on the Sydney side for you!
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

Brian, I will give Matt a call tomorrow and see if I can catch up with him and take a look at it for you. I'll try and report back ASAP with my findings.

If you need a place to store it until you can work out shipping etc. I am more than happy to oblige. Just let me know how I can assist further.
rick_ovic
RRF Consultant

Post by rick_ovic »

Brian, the exchange rate between the Aussie dollar and the US dollar is currently at the lowest point in five years. It's anyone's guess whether it will continue to continue falling, however it's never been a better time for our US friends to purchase instruments located in Australia.

As a matter of fact I have a house full of guitars....step right up folks....cheaper by the dozen!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
'59 425, '59 335, '60 335, '60 360, '60 335F, '60 345F, '64 RM 1999, '65 RM 1998, '65 360-12, '66 335, '67 450-12, '72 4001 '72 4001, '75 4000, '75 4000CS, '00 700S, '01 700C, '01 700S-12, '01 730S-FH, '06 660 DCM
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

gellkeller wrote:Brian, I will give Matt a call tomorrow and see if I can catch up with him and take a look at it for you. I'll try and report back ASAP with my findings.

If you need a place to store it until you can work out shipping etc. I am more than happy to oblige. Just let me know how I can assist further.
Thank you Brett. I already took the liberty to let Matt know that you would be calling. I truly appreciate your help and everyone who has replied. I still shake my head how we can rely on each other from half a world away. Truly, thank you.
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

rick_ovic wrote:Brian, the exchange rate between the Aussie dollar and the US dollar is currently at the lowest point in five years. It's anyone's guess whether it will continue to continue falling, however it's never been a better time for our US friends to purchase instruments located in Australia.

As a matter of fact I have a house full of guitars....step right up folks....cheaper by the dozen!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're absolutely right. Which is why I am in all likelihood going to buy it. Once again I have gone over my budget for this year. It wasn't realistic at all though. it was $ 0. I just picked up a 325C64 and a 4003 Midnight Blue that is absolutely beautiful. So having said that...what's for sale Darren? :D
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

rick_ovic wrote:Brian, the exchange rate between the Aussie dollar and the US dollar is currently at the lowest point in five years. It's anyone's guess whether it will continue to continue falling, however it's never been a better time for our US friends to purchase instruments located in Australia.

All right Darren! Thanks mate! And your signature makes shopping so convenient!!! I'll take one of these, one of those, oh yeah don't forget the 8 string, let's see, do you have this one in a fireglo??? :lol:
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

Brett,

Matt says to call him at 0413-139-108. I appreciate you following up for me.
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

Brian, PM sent.
rick_ovic
RRF Consultant

Post by rick_ovic »

How about an update boys? I hope that someone has a good news story following the financial bloodbath this week! :D

I bought a 1970 F*nder Strat neck last Saturday for US$500 - the equivalent of AUD$650. By the time the seller sent me an invoice with shipping costs yesterday, the Aussie dollar had fallen yet again, making the purchase price AUD$750!

At least I can take some comfort in the knowledge that once I put this neck back up on eBay for it's true market value I'll have the exchange rate working in my favour again! :mrgreen:
'59 425, '59 335, '60 335, '60 360, '60 335F, '60 345F, '64 RM 1999, '65 RM 1998, '65 360-12, '66 335, '67 450-12, '72 4001 '72 4001, '75 4000, '75 4000CS, '00 700S, '01 700C, '01 700S-12, '01 730S-FH, '06 660 DCM
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

I checked it out and it is all in one piece but it has definitely been gigged. Nothing major just a lot of superficial marks. It's showing a bit of wear and tear much like myself.

Bummer about the Aussie dollar. I just bought something from Japan about 2 weeks ago so I timed it pretty well. I am definitely going to curb anymore purchases for a little while.

On a positive note - THE FIRST TEST IN INDIA!! How good is cricket season! :D
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Thanks for getting out there Brett... I wasn't due to visit that neck of the woods for a few days, and it being HSC season and all, I wasn't in aposition to get out there any sooner.

On the great game in India, looks like a draw unless the locals can score 550+ by the end of day four and have us in on a breaking pitch....or our quicks can get some reverse swing happening..... It's fascinating to see how ineffective the Indian spinners have been against the Aussie middle order...and how slow the scoring rate has been (yawn)....

On the currency, I'm interested to note that its slide coincides with the recent shipping of 4004s.... An occurence of Murphy's law or is something more sinister at work?
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop

Return to “Australian Chapter: by Greg Rahilly”