Rick-N-Punk

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
gareth
Intermediate Member

Re: Rick-N-Punk

Post by gareth »

The Shapes used Ricks. Me with the 4001 and the guitarist with a 450. Paul W is refinishing me a 4001 right now in the same specs as my original 4001 that I made famous with them in 79. I'll be taking that one on tour in the UK in December for the 30th anniversary reunion tour that winds up in London on Dec 13th with The Damned.

Speaking of which, The Damned's Paul Gray had the best Rickenbacker bass sound ever. Next to me of course :D
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

gareth wrote:Paul W is refinishing me a 4001 right now in the same specs as my original 4001 that I made famous with them in 79.
You have pics of 79?
gareth
Intermediate Member

Post by gareth »

About the only ones I have right now are one me airborne with the 79, and the guitarist and his 450. We're doing a retrospective for release in Japan right now, so when I get over to the UK in a month, hopefully more will have been dug up. If they have, I'll post them.
Attachments
Untitled-9.jpg
tim.jpg
mikethemod1992

Post by mikethemod1992 »

That 450 is beautiful. Ive been looking for one! i might aswell just build one! What was the group called?
"One Chord is fine, two chords is pushing it, three chords and youre into jazz!"
-Lou Reed
gareth
Intermediate Member

Post by gareth »

mikethemod1992 wrote:That 450 is beautiful. Ive been looking for one! i might aswell just build one! What was the group called?

The Shapes. We were one of the first wave punk bands in the UK. You can still find the singles and albums out there on eBay and Amazon. We're doing a short tour of the UK in December (see attached flyer). I'm probably going to be using my jetglo 4001 and the 4001CS.
Attachments
Rebellion Flyer
Rebellion Flyer
mikethemod1992

Post by mikethemod1992 »

gareth wrote:
mikethemod1992 wrote:That 450 is beautiful. Ive been looking for one! i might aswell just build one! What was the group called?

The Shapes. We were one of the first wave punk bands in the UK. You can still find the singles and albums out there on eBay and Amazon. We're doing a short tour of the UK in December (see attached flyer). I'm probably going to be using my jetglo 4001 and the 4001CS.
I gave you guys a listen, youre wonderful!!!!! Ever consider coming to atlanta?
"One Chord is fine, two chords is pushing it, three chords and youre into jazz!"
-Lou Reed
gareth
Intermediate Member

Post by gareth »

mikethemod1992 wrote:
gareth wrote:

I gave you guys a listen, youre wonderful!!!!! Ever consider coming to atlanta?
I'd love to, but it's a bit of a drive considering I'm the only one them living in the US right now ! However, I wouldn't have bet on us touring the UK as recently as a year ago, and we're getting some interest from Europe and Japan, and even one request from New York, so I'll just keep an open door for any and all opportunities. I'll have to fit in any work with The Shapes around any plans for the Ghosthookers too, but if the opportunities are there, I'm sure we'll take them. Gotta pay for all these Rics somehow.....
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

Smiling Face Down. Until I saw Paul's video in the Artists section, I hadn't heard of his band - despite my frequent visits to the RRF. My loss!

Paul, I'm not sure what genre you call it, but the punk influences are clearly there. I wish your band the best! I might have to buy a copy of Brittown, too!

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”