Sex Pistols Reunion

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music

Sex Pistols Reunion

Postby (mikethemod1992) » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:56 pm

I have mixed feelings about this.... To me they will always be one of the greatest rock n' roll bands of all time and certainly of my favorites. Its great to see them with the original line up again. It would be great to see them live and all that, but i may not be able to bring myself to it because it could ruin them for me. I think i would rather remember them as Disaffected p*ssed off teenagers rather than middleaged fat men.....what about you guys?
-Michael


Then......

and now
"One Chord is fine, two chords is pushing it, three chords and youre into jazz!"
-Lou Reed
User avatar
(mikethemod1992)
New member
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:31 pm
Location: Snellville, Georgia USA

Re: Sex Pistols Reunion

Postby (sowhat) » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:56 am

On one hand, i agree with you, Michael. Most of these reunions look pitiful and pointless.
On the other hand, if they want to do it and if they're having fun playing together again (and then the public would have fun, too, cause it always feels when people are happy with what they are doing), then why not and who am i to judge?
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
User avatar
(sowhat)
RRF Consultant
 
Posts: 5380
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:00 am
Location: Moscow origin, Russia

Re: Sex Pistols Reunion

Postby (kiramdear) » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:31 am

They don't look like they're ready for the nursing home yet.

But then again, I have looked in the mirror this morning. I think if we all close our eyes it could be 1979 again for a minute 8)

Better to burn out than rust out.
All I wanna do is rock!
User avatar
(kiramdear)
RRF Moderator
 
Posts: 9045
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:51 am
Location: Out there

Re: Sex Pistols Reunion

Postby (paologregorio) » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:54 pm

They sound great!!! :D
User avatar
(paologregorio)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6364
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Long Beach, CA, United States of America

Re: Sex Pistols Reunion

Postby (mikethemod1992) » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:30 pm

i kind of see of it like the jam. Its great that theyre back together! But i think it ruins the "it'll leave you wanting more" legacy. In my opinion anyways
"One Chord is fine, two chords is pushing it, three chords and youre into jazz!"
-Lou Reed
User avatar
(mikethemod1992)
New member
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:31 pm
Location: Snellville, Georgia USA

Re: Sex Pistols Reunion

Postby (weemac) » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:56 am

I thought that only 2/3rds of the jam were back together...

I'm no pistols fan (so take no offense) but if you consider that the first clip is pre-recorded and the second one is straight out live, they seem to sound better now than they use to. Clearly they are all better musos than they used to be. There seems to be more real energy and less acting..
Johnny should get his tooth fixed though.... :lol:

Eden.
User avatar
(weemac)
Veteran RRF member
 
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:28 am
Location: Stralia

Re: Sex Pistols Reunion

Postby (captsandwich) » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:09 am

The pistols were far better musicians than most people gave them credit for.
I still love NMTB. I still think Johnny is incredibly smart & funny and a very charasmatic performer (I saw PiL in the late 80's and he was mesmerizing). Steve, Glen & Paul were always better than the 'wall of noise/they can't play' hype.
However, I haven't gone to any of their reunions for fear of spoiling the image in my head. Reunions scare me for that reason.
User avatar
(captsandwich)
Intermediate Member
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:13 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Sex Pistols Reunion

Postby (kennyhowes) » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:53 pm

captsandwich wrote:However, I haven't gone to any of their reunions for fear of spoiling the image in my head. Reunions scare me for that reason.

That's why I still haven't seen KISS live!
User avatar
(kennyhowes)
Veteran RRF member
 
Posts: 4742
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 1:03 am
Location: Atlanta, GA USA

Re: Sex Pistols Reunion

Postby (captsandwich) » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:00 pm

kennyhowes wrote:
captsandwich wrote:However, I haven't gone to any of their reunions for fear of spoiling the image in my head. Reunions scare me for that reason.

That's why I still haven't seen KISS live!



I've been to a couple of reunions that were awesome - the Pixies and Gang of Four - but the Pistols will be angry 19 year olds forever, in my mind.
User avatar
(captsandwich)
Intermediate Member
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:13 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Sex Pistols Reunion

Postby (berth) » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:39 pm

captsandwich wrote: but the Pistols will be angry 19 year olds forever, in my mind.


How Old do you see yourself? ;-)
User avatar
(berth)
RRF Consultant
 
Posts: 1689
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:06 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Sex Pistols Reunion

Postby (captsandwich) » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:19 pm

I'm older than I act and younger than I look.

8)
User avatar
(captsandwich)
Intermediate Member
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:13 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Sex Pistols Reunion

Postby (kiramdear) » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:23 pm

captsandwich wrote:I'm older than I act and younger than I look.

8)


Classic! :lol: :lol:

+1, much younger than my bones :wink:
All I wanna do is rock!
User avatar
(kiramdear)
RRF Moderator
 
Posts: 9045
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:51 am
Location: Out there

Re: Sex Pistols Reunion

Postby (gareth) » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:26 pm

mikethemod1992 wrote:I have mixed feelings about this.... To me they will always be one of the greatest rock n' roll bands of all time and certainly of my favorites. Its great to see them with the original line up again. It would be great to see them live and all that, but i may not be able to bring myself to it because it could ruin them for me. I think i would rather remember them as Disaffected p*ssed off teenagers rather than middleaged fat men.....what about you guys?
-Michael


I've seen them a few times now. In the earlys days, first with Glen, then with Sid, who was a disaster.

The I saw them a few years back on the Filthy Lucre Tour, and they were great. They sounded exactly like the records, and were every bit as good as they were back in he day. If you get the chance, go for it I say.
User avatar
(gareth)
Intermediate Member
 
Posts: 655
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:55 am
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA

Re: Sex Pistols Reunion

Postby (whojamfan) » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:56 pm

If you can do it and still be good, why not?
Still one of the best punk records ever made, and yes, Steve Jones played all of the guitar, and a lot of the bass.
If I had the opportunity to see them today, I definitely would.
User avatar
(whojamfan)
RRF Consultant
 
Posts: 2552
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:50 am
Location: City of Angels, City of Angels.......

Re: Sex Pistols Reunion

Postby (antipodean) » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:38 am

gareth wrote:I've seen them a few times now. In the earlys days, first with Glen, then with Sid, who was a disaster.

The I saw them a few years back on the Filthy Lucre Tour, and they were great. They sounded exactly like the records, and were every bit as good as they were back in he day. If you get the chance, go for it I say.


I can remember plugging into the "Filthy Lucre" CD at a store in Tokyo... and being amazed at how much better they sounded!!!!

They may be better musicians (I tend to think so), but also audio technology has come a looooooong way since NMTB was recorded.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
User avatar
(antipodean)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3182
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:27 am
Location: Sydney's North


Return to Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests