Sex Pistols Reunion

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
mikethemod1992

Sex Pistols Reunion

Post by mikethemod1992 »

I have mixed feelings about this.... To me they will always be one of the greatest rock n' roll bands of all time and certainly of my favorites. Its great to see them with the original line up again. It would be great to see them live and all that, but i may not be able to bring myself to it because it could ruin them for me. I think i would rather remember them as Disaffected p*ssed off teenagers rather than middleaged fat men.....what about you guys?
-Michael

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4bM_l443VV4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4bM_l443VV4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Then......
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ogJrsZqsgZY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ogJrsZqsgZY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
and now
"One Chord is fine, two chords is pushing it, three chords and youre into jazz!"
-Lou Reed
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Re: Sex Pistols Reunion

Post by sowhat »

On one hand, i agree with you, Michael. Most of these reunions look pitiful and pointless.
On the other hand, if they want to do it and if they're having fun playing together again (and then the public would have fun, too, cause it always feels when people are happy with what they are doing), then why not and who am i to judge?
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

They don't look like they're ready for the nursing home yet.

But then again, I have looked in the mirror this morning. I think if we all close our eyes it could be 1979 again for a minute 8)

Better to burn out than rust out.
All I wanna do is rock!
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

They sound great!!! :D
mikethemod1992

Post by mikethemod1992 »

i kind of see of it like the jam. Its great that theyre back together! But i think it ruins the "it'll leave you wanting more" legacy. In my opinion anyways
"One Chord is fine, two chords is pushing it, three chords and youre into jazz!"
-Lou Reed
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

I thought that only 2/3rds of the jam were back together...

I'm no pistols fan (so take no offense) but if you consider that the first clip is pre-recorded and the second one is straight out live, they seem to sound better now than they use to. Clearly they are all better musos than they used to be. There seems to be more real energy and less acting..
Johnny should get his tooth fixed though.... :lol:

Eden.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

The pistols were far better musicians than most people gave them credit for.
I still love NMTB. I still think Johnny is incredibly smart & funny and a very charasmatic performer (I saw PiL in the late 80's and he was mesmerizing). Steve, Glen & Paul were always better than the 'wall of noise/they can't play' hype.
However, I haven't gone to any of their reunions for fear of spoiling the image in my head. Reunions scare me for that reason.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

captsandwich wrote:However, I haven't gone to any of their reunions for fear of spoiling the image in my head. Reunions scare me for that reason.
That's why I still haven't seen KISS live!
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

kennyhowes wrote:
captsandwich wrote:However, I haven't gone to any of their reunions for fear of spoiling the image in my head. Reunions scare me for that reason.
That's why I still haven't seen KISS live!

I've been to a couple of reunions that were awesome - the Pixies and Gang of Four - but the Pistols will be angry 19 year olds forever, in my mind.
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

captsandwich wrote: but the Pistols will be angry 19 year olds forever, in my mind.
How Old do you see yourself? ;-)
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

I'm older than I act and younger than I look.

8)
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

captsandwich wrote:I'm older than I act and younger than I look.

8)
Classic! :lol: :lol:

+1, much younger than my bones :wink:
All I wanna do is rock!
gareth
Intermediate Member

Post by gareth »

mikethemod1992 wrote:I have mixed feelings about this.... To me they will always be one of the greatest rock n' roll bands of all time and certainly of my favorites. Its great to see them with the original line up again. It would be great to see them live and all that, but i may not be able to bring myself to it because it could ruin them for me. I think i would rather remember them as Disaffected p*ssed off teenagers rather than middleaged fat men.....what about you guys?
-Michael
I've seen them a few times now. In the earlys days, first with Glen, then with Sid, who was a disaster.

The I saw them a few years back on the Filthy Lucre Tour, and they were great. They sounded exactly like the records, and were every bit as good as they were back in he day. If you get the chance, go for it I say.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

If you can do it and still be good, why not?
Still one of the best punk records ever made, and yes, Steve Jones played all of the guitar, and a lot of the bass.
If I had the opportunity to see them today, I definitely would.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

gareth wrote:I've seen them a few times now. In the earlys days, first with Glen, then with Sid, who was a disaster.

The I saw them a few years back on the Filthy Lucre Tour, and they were great. They sounded exactly like the records, and were every bit as good as they were back in he day. If you get the chance, go for it I say.
I can remember plugging into the "Filthy Lucre" CD at a store in Tokyo... and being amazed at how much better they sounded!!!!

They may be better musicians (I tend to think so), but also audio technology has come a looooooong way since NMTB was recorded.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”