Vox AC15/Vox Valvetronix - good amps?

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

monoBEAR

Vox AC15/Vox Valvetronix - good amps?

Post by monoBEAR »

I am looking at getting a cheaper Vox amp and stumbled across these AC15 or Vox VT100 Valvetronix.

here is what i am talking about.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC15CC1/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VT100

anyone familiar with these. recommend or not recommend? looking to spend around $500-$600 for a good amp.

looking at either this or a Fender Blues Junior.

Thanks!
Jeremy
Epiphone Sheraton II
Martin OMM Acoustic
Fender P-Bass 62' Re-issue
Rickenbacker 4003 Jetglo Bass
Peavey 300 Combo Bass Amp

http://www.myspace.com/oldmastersmusic
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Re: Vox AC15/Vox Valvetronix - good amps?

Post by tennis_nick »

monoBEAR wrote:I am looking at getting a cheaper Vox amp and stumbled across these AC15 or Vox VT100 Valvetronix.

here is what i am talking about.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC15CC1/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VT100

anyone familiar with these. recommend or not recommend? looking to spend around $500-$600 for a good amp.

looking at either this or a Fender Blues Junior.

Thanks!
Jeremy
I started off with one of those Valvetronix, and it has many wonderful features, as a new guitarist, I enjoyed having all those sounds at my disposition. In the end though, I traded it for a Fender Blues Jr. The Valvetronix was great, but in the end, the feel o a tube amp wasn't there, as far as modeling technology though, it was upper middle class.

I love my Blues Jr, it has a wonderful sparkle too it, but I don't doubt that I will one day have an AC15 to sit next to it, they sound rather different, thanks to different tube compliments and such.
monoBEAR

Post by monoBEAR »

thanks so much, Nick. sounds like a nice amp, the junior and the valvetronix. now, i just need to make up my mind. i wish the valvetronix came with a footswitch.
Epiphone Sheraton II
Martin OMM Acoustic

tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

monoBEAR wrote:thanks so much, Nick. sounds like a nice amp, the junior and the valvetronix. now, i just need to make up my mind. i wish the valvetronix came with a footswitch.

I you've got $20 bucks and some change to cover shipping, I can send ya over the one I had for mine, I still have it from when I had the amp.
octagon

Post by octagon »

The Vox AC-15CC1 is an awsome little amp also.You should really take your 360 to Guitar Center and try all these amps out before you make up your mind.

JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I have NEVER played through a VOX amp...ever! (shame on me, I know) I'm borrowing a Fender Princeton DSP that I'm really digging right now, if I were you, I'd try out one of those as well as the VOX.

My friend has a VOX Valvetronix, that I've never played through...it's weird, too, because he's a mostly classical acoustic player and he doesn't want to lend me his Valvetronix because he feels it will be gone once I get done playing "My Generation" or "Won't Get Fooled Again"...to that I say "rubbish"!

I agree with Mitch...take your 360 to your local VOX dealer, and try 'em both out...see which one you like.
goofyfoot
Intermediate Member

Post by goofyfoot »

MonoBEAR.....My suggestion? Go for the all-tube components in the VOX AC15CC1 over the solid-state/tube hybrid modeling amp. Plus you'll pocket the 50 bonz for the AC15CC1. Nothing beats a tube amp, IMHO. I've tried to like solid-state amps but the vibes have never been there for me. I'm not trying to be a snob. Maybe it's because when I was growing up, tube amps far outweighed available solid-state models. To my ears, I can't hear the warm, earthy organic tones generated through speakers in solid-state amps. But hey, we all have different auditory thresholds so whatever floats someone else's boat is cool with me. Have fun checking 'em out. I'd play a lot of amps in your price range before settling on the one you want. There's a lot of stuff out there, brah. Keep on keepin' on.....Goofyfoot.
Play on, pick often, jam with any Rickenbacker, and prosper.
monoBEAR

Post by monoBEAR »

thanks, david. the vox ac15cc1 sounds like the one for me. now, i just need to find a good used one. i can't afford a new one.
Epiphone Sheraton II
Martin OMM Acoustic

antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Just to be a contrarian....

Modelling amps are very versatile, so if you are going to be playing a lot of genres, the Valvtronix is worthy of consideration.

If you're more into one sound, then an AC15 is a great thing, but make sure it's the sound you're after!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
monoBEAR

Post by monoBEAR »

antipodean wrote:Just to be a contrarian....

Modelling amps are very versatile, so if you are going to be playing a lot of genres, the Valvtronix is worthy of consideration.

If you're more into one sound, then an AC15 is a great thing, but make sure it's the sound you're after!
that's a good point. i will try a couple out and see how they sound.
Epiphone Sheraton II
Martin OMM Acoustic

tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

monoBEAR wrote:

That is a good point, but as someone pointed out to me, tube amps are essentially all one trick ponies, but they do that trick much better than a modeling amp on the same setting.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

tennis_nick wrote:
monoBEAR wrote:

That is a good point, but as someone pointed out to me, tube amps are essentially all one trick ponies, but they do that trick much better than a modeling amp on the same setting.
I want to agree, but I find myself using my Line6 amp more than my Mesa-Boogie (and I love my Mesa-Boogie).

An important point is that when we play live, that "special tone" we hear from our cool amp isn't heard by the audience, who are less attuned to such subtleties and are dealing with suboptimal acoustics, crowd noise and quick and dirty mixing. In this context, the extra $$$$$ we spend on getting a great tube amp may not pay the dividends we were expecting.

Getting any gear involves weighing up competing factors - budget, reliability, versatility and fundamental performance (tone for amps). What we need the amp for (lots of live gigging, studio work, personal use) will colour our final choice. The great thing is, there is no universal "right answer"....
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Do your craigslist homework...you might get them both on the cheap.

I bought a Vox ad50vt for $225. I love it. If you spend time learning it, you can match most any tone.

Still, I wish I also had my Vibro Champ. And an AC30 and a Fender Twin.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”