First shots

Capturing Guitar images
dinorock

First shots

Post by dinorock »

I was taking some shots of my 330 for the register and after I took the basics I decided to have some fun. Here are some sample shots but I do have a question. How do you clean the dust off a JG finish/chrome in order to use flash? My old eyes must be getting bad because I didn't see that much. Oh well, guess I can do 'em again.

Todd
winston
Membership Admin

Re: First shots

Post by winston »

Compressed air in a can works well, but I normally use a photographers lense brush to get my JG guitars free of lint and other airborne debris from the hard to reach places. Just make sure the brush is fully extended when you use it.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Don't you know, you can NEVER get all the dust off of a Jetglo finish! :twisted:

Nice pics BTW! I'll have to try to get some decent ones of mine one of these days...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

While photographing my 360V64 I had a difficult time with static, perhaps it is the nature of RIC's CV? :? Be careful with the compressed air as the propellant can be nasty to the finish if it get sprayed out of the can. I prefer an oil-less air compressor.
dinorock

Post by dinorock »

I'll get a brush and give it a try. Thanks. I"ll be sure to have my glasses next time when I do the in-camera review!

So many spots, so little time... :wink:
Todd
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I'm not sure I like the reflection of the Fender amp on the shot of the back. It's interesting, but it had me wondering for a while whether you'd put some sort of pad on the back.
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Yeah - It almost looks like the finish is messed up.
dinorock

Post by dinorock »

Actually, I took two of the back. The standard shot and the reflection. I was seeing if I could get the light right. Flash to amp to guitar to camera. Here's the other shot and that's where the dust really shows up.

Todd
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

All I wanna do is rock!
dinorock

Post by dinorock »

Wow, cool. Thanks for the screenshot. I don't have PS at this time but I do have Lightroom. If I'm more careful on the setup, use the brush, and then spot remove what's left I'll be in much better shape.

I see what you mean on the reflection. But the grill (grid) did show the relative flatness or smoothness of the surface, although that was not my intention. :)

Thanks for all the feedback.
Todd

Return to “Photography By RRF Members: by Jeffrey Scott”