Confluence FAQ

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

joey_capps

Confluence FAQ

Post by joey_capps »

As a new Ric owner, I am intrigued by the Confluence phenomena. After wading through forum, I think I get the idea as to what these are and generally how they work. However, a FAQ sticky might be helpful. Something that provides a list of what all the different acronyms stand for--it took me a while to figure out that the RIO Confluence was not in Brazil :D--and, perhaps, a calendar of all up coming events, a typical confluence agenda--if that is the right word--advice from those who have hosted confluences in the past, and so on.

If this resource exists somewhere, please point me the right direction and my apologies.

Joe
2015 MG 1993+
2008 FG 360/6
1995 FG 610/6

akajoeyjones.com
massconception.com
8mileshigher

Re: Confluence FAQ

Post by 8mileshigher »

Hey, Joey welcome aboard and congratulations on your first post :!: :!:
You have come to the right place as a proud new Ric owner. (Betcha' can't own just one :mrgreen: )

I am sure there are more knowledgeable people than me who can shed more light on the subject, (a lot of the SERFers are probably enroute at this moment) but I think I know a few of the acronyms.

MARF Mid Atlantic Ric Fest
SERF South East Ric Fest
RIO Rics in Ohio
LARF Liverpool Atlantic Ric Fest (in the works/hoping/planning for in 2009)
Pacific North West --- some ideas are getting discussed for a first one of these
So Cal or SCARF Southern California Annual or August Ric Fest (I think there are several interpretations of the "A")
Melbourne 2010 (Don't know if the Aussie group have come up with an Acronym yet -- tenative time is next Spring)

Mini Con or Teeny Con, etc. two or more Forumites confluencing while awaiting one of the aforementioned bigger Confluences to happen. Our friend Paul Azpeitia has become a local legend here in Southern Calif in arranging Mini Con Jam sessions to keep the faithful going ....

If you need more details about Confluencing -- just check out some of the dozens of pictures posted under various events in this sector of the Forum. Or check out Rickenbrother's Joey's BassNotes website....
http://www.joeysbassnotes.com/

Hope to meet you at a confluence soon. :D

Regards
Rich F.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

By the way, a Google Search for Rickenbacker Confleunce will come up with more than 8,000 entries :!:

There must be something to this phenomena :D :D :D

Regards
Rich F.
s4001

Post by s4001 »

As a newbie, you're expected to bring the beer.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

And the party girls!
joey_capps

Post by joey_capps »

8mileshigher wrote:Betcha' can't own just one :mrgreen:
So true. I've had my Ric (Fireglo 360/6) for two weeks now, and I'm already trying to figure out how to buy the Mapleglo 350V63 taunting at my local shop. My next purchase, though, will probably be a twelve string.

s4001 wrote:As a newbie, you're expected to bring the beer.
You know not what you ask. I'm also known as joeycapps(no underscore) on a RateBeer.com. I'll bring some good beer, but I can't guarantee you will like it.
2015 MG 1993+
2008 FG 360/6
1995 FG 610/6

akajoeyjones.com
massconception.com
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

joey_capps wrote:
8mileshigher wrote:Betcha' can't own just one :mrgreen:
So true. I've had my Ric (Fireglo 360/6) for two weeks now, and I'm already trying to figure out how to buy the Mapleglo 350V63 taunting at my local shop. My next purchase, though, will probably be a twelve string.

Well this looks like a cut and dry case of RAS setting in already, Joey. Looks like you are fitting into the profile of members of this Forum.... What the typical member here is going to suggest is that you get the MapleGlo 350V63 you are eyeing and a Twelve string. You need to link over to the RickResource Main Site and follow to the piece entitled "Rickenbacker Addiction". There is no twelve step program that's going to address your obvious RAS other than the gratification process as described in the aforementioned article. You may also want to read up on the Rickenbacker General board here in the Forum entitled "Group Therapy for Ric Owners-in-Waiting"
Welcome to the RRF :D :D :!: :!: You're going to fit in real well here :D :!:

Cheers
Rich F.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

:shock: You mean RIO wasn't held in Brazil? :oops: And here I've been polishing up my bossa nova licks for the next one :wink: :lol:

Great idea, Joe. It's hard to keep up with so much fun going on around here. Welcome to the forum :D :lol:
All I wanna do is rock!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

joey_capps wrote:I've had my Ric (Fireglo 360/6) for two weeks now, and I'm already trying to figure out how to buy the Mapleglo 350V63 taunting at my local shop.
RAS sets in!
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

joey_capps wrote:
Joe: Always remember to consider used guitars first. There have been two JG 350's for sale in Burlington in the last 6 weeks on craigslist... Both of them (at $1900) being $1100 cheaper then that mapleglow 350 at Long and Mcquades... Unless you just really like the feel of a new one, or feel more secure about having a warrenty... Think that for the price of that one guitar you could have a 12 string AND another less desirable model.. Like say a 430 (one just sold for $800 on ebay last week).. It is all about keeping an eye out and spreading the word about what you are looking for... In the 3 months I have been registered here there are at least 4 guitars that I would have grabbed that came up in the MArketplace forum.. (Ah, if I were more solvent these days... As the economy gets worse there will be even more coming up for sale).

Brian
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

8mileshigher wrote:Hey, Joey welcome aboard and congratulations on your first post :!: :!:
You have come to the right place as a proud new Ric owner. (Betcha' can't own just one :mrgreen: )

I am sure there are more knowledgeable people than me who can shed more light on the subject, (a lot of the SERFers are probably enroute at this moment) but I think I know a few of the acronyms.

MARF Mid Atlantic Ric Fest
SERF South East Ric Fest
RIO Rics in Ohio
LARF Liverpool Atlantic Ric Fest (in the works/hoping/planning for in 2009)
Pacific North West --- some ideas are getting discussed for a first one of these
So Cal or SCARF Southern California Annual or August Ric Fest (I think there are several interpretations of the "A")
Melbourne 2010 (Don't know if the Aussie group have come up with an Acronym yet -- tenative time is next Spring)

Mini Con or Teeny Con, etc. two or more Forumites confluencing while awaiting one of the aforementioned bigger Confluences to happen. Our friend Paul Azpeitia has become a local legend here in Southern Calif in arranging Mini Con Jam sessions to keep the faithful going ....

If you need more details about Confluencing -- just check out some of the dozens of pictures posted under various events in this sector of the Forum. Or check out Rickenbrother's Joey's BassNotes website....
http://www.joeysbassnotes.com/

Hope to meet you at a confluence soon. :D

Regards
Rich F.
Hi Joe,

The aforementioned Paul Abba Zabba here. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"local legend"?! :oops: My goodness Rich, that's quite effusive praise. Thanks for the compliment. The process for setting up a minicon is actually quite simple:

1.) Find out who are and how many of your local fellow Rick owners and forum members are
2.) Ask who's interested in getting together
3.) Find a suitable venue.
3.) Set a date that's on a convenient day, and with enough advance notice for folks to make arrangements to attend.
4.) Keep hammering home reminders to all prospective attendees until the hammer breaks...in a diplomatic and humorous manner, of course.
5.) Get a prospective song list together, and if possible, jam with a few of the guys here and there ahead of time on some of the songs you want to play. You can pre-learn a lot of lyrics and music on your own just by watching live you tube videos, and googling the songs you're interested in playing. This site is also helpful, though like everything else in this world, imperfect: http://www.azchords.com/m.html
6.) Booze and snacks are to be encouraged!
7.) Have fun, take lots of pics, and shoot some video!
8.) Post the photos and video profusely on the forum after the event to ecourage envy, regret, and future attendance among those locals who missed out! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, and here's a new term for you: jamfluence. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

paologregorio wrote:"local legend"?! :oops: My goodness Rich, that's quite effusive praise. Thanks for the compliment.
:shock: Maybe in L.A. that's a compliment, but up here in Babylon-by-the-Bay we usually qualify that phrase with an adjective of some kind :lol: :lol: :lol:
All I wanna do is rock!
s4001

Post by s4001 »

Paul forgot the part about his cel phone. :D
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

There has been some dicsussion in the Canadian Forum about having a (second) Canadian Confluence sometime later this year.
As previously mentioned, new guys bring beer. :D

PS: Confluences cure RAS.

:twisted:
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Believe me I tried, Greg.............. all the grog outlets out there were closed!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”