73 Fender Twin Reverb

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

lovecity

73 Fender Twin Reverb

Post by lovecity »

I just traded a Vox AC30CCH (my backup) for this amp.

I'm running it parallel to my AC30 combo.. with the Vox Cranked and the Twin full and articulating the notes. I'm pretty stoked.

It's a Master Volume w/ the Reissue Jensens. Any tricks or fun stuff I should know about..
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: 73 Fender Twin Reverb

Post by JakeK »

My buddy owns a '70s Twin Reverb (a '74, I think)...his has a Master Volume...it sounds awesome :D
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

There are a few simple mods out there to make the Twin have "blackface" specs, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Try turning the master volume all the way up, and just use the regular volume, and the push-pull pot "in" if it has one. I had an early 70s one about 13 years ago and found this to be the best setting for me. The master volume and push pull deal just seemed to thicken things up in an un-musical way. Turned all the way up, the master volume should be out of the circuit, as it is on most amps that have a master volume. This will provide maximum headroom(as if a Twin really needs max :lol: )and allow the reverb to maintain the highest level of clarity. Having arguably the best reverb of any amp,IMHO,I liked mine to be as prominent and articulate as possible.

This was the experience I had with mine, and yours may vary, but it's worth a shot.

Sounds like a great combo, did that with my Hiwatt and Twin together, people get so picky about volume :lol:
lovecity

Post by lovecity »

whojamfan wrote:There are a few simple mods out there to make the Twin have "blackface" specs, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Try turning the master volume all the way up, and just use the regular volume, and the push-pull pot "in" if it has one. I had an early 70s one about 13 years ago and found this to be the best setting for me. The master volume and push pull deal just seemed to thicken things up in an un-musical way. Turned all the way up, the master volume should be out of the circuit, as it is on most amps that have a master volume. This will provide maximum headroom(as if a Twin really needs max :lol: )and allow the reverb to maintain the highest level of clarity. Having arguably the best reverb of any amp,IMHO,I liked mine to be as prominent and articulate as possible.

This was the experience I had with mine, and yours may vary, but it's worth a shot.

Sounds like a great combo, did that with my Hiwatt and Twin together, people get so picky about volume :lol:
Thanks!

I knew it going into it, but my only complaint is how loud it is. It sounds awesome mixed with the AC30, but as the level at which the Twin does sound awesome edges out the Vox.

Have you (or anyone) tried removing 2 of the powertubes before? I heard this effectively makes the amp a 50 watt.. but also read it can be bad.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Removing two of the power tubes is fine in a fixed bias amp such as the Twin Reverb as long as you make sure you are pulling the correct pair that are working together. I forget which pair it is on that amp. It won't get you much of a reduction in volume however, and will change the tone a bit because there will now be a mismatch with the power tubes and the output transformer, though nothing that the amp can't handle.

Greg

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”