Bass Rockman tips?

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Bass Rockman tips?

Post by kiramdear »

Hi all,

I've been gifted a Bass Rockman. It's a nifty pocketbook-sized unit that runs off AA batteries. From what I could gather it's a kind of Sansamp preamp and modeler for recording. I have to put in some batteries and check it out tomorrow, but I'm hoping for your input in the meantime. If anyone has experience with the Rockman line at all I would like to hear your comments because I never tried one before. It seems like a nifty piece of kit with a high-end price tag in its day (late eighties). What is it good for in your opinion?
All I wanna do is rock!
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Re: Bass Rockman tips?

Post by whojamfan »

There is a "Rockman forum" that is very informative and helpfull. I have a Sustainor unit that sounds very good, and has outstanding compression and treble boosting features. Really easy to get a good pop jangle thing out of it. The distortions sound is good as well. The 2 biggest problems with their stuff is 1-they are designed to be run through full range sound systems, so most people who bought or tried them through amps didn't much like them, and 2, aside from being pricey, weren't constructed as well as they should have been.

The only things still made today are the Rockman guitar and bass headphone amps, which while limiting, provide an appoximation of what the rack modules did. OOPS, almost forgot, the Acoustic pedal they make, which most people who buy one, wish they had forgot to :lol:
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Thanks, Mike,

I gathered some of the information you mention since I last posted. But it seems the real problem is that the unit is broken. I get a partial signal through one side of one headphone out, although it powers up OK the red light blinks constantly. Something is wrong, so I'd just like to find out if it's worth it to find a repairman. It was a pretty pricey piece of gear in its day and the model I have is one of the best reviewed, so I'm willing to invest some tens of dollars or so to have it brought back to speed.

People say they're great in the studio. Developed by the guy from Boston, they say you can get the band's guitar sounds from a Rockman.

:D
All I wanna do is rock!
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Tom Scholz, guitar player from Boston, did in fact develope these. Generally, people thought if they got his products they would sound just like him. As Tom has a unique tone that was different than any other, people were put off when those products didn't give them the exact sounds they were looking for. Truth is, there was more to Toms tone than the modules he designed. It's just like Van Halen and Brian May, as in how many amps and pedals bear their signatures, and how many make you sound just like them? None, the sounds in your fingers.

Rockman Perfect Sound Refurbs is a company(a few guys really)that repairs and mods all of the Rockman stuff. They have new metal cases for the modules and headphone units, and perform factory upgrades that were put out at the end of production. Worth a look at the website, but not recommended for an inexpensive solution to your problems.

Maybe you could run a cable out of the Rockman in to the channel of a mixer, where you could adjust the pan control to take the one side that works and make it stereo. Just turn down the channel where there is no signal coming from the unit.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Thanks again, Mike. I just got on their waiting list. It costs just $80 to refurbish the unit so I think that's going to be a go.
All I wanna do is rock!
fireglo
Veteran RRF member

Post by fireglo »

kiramdear wrote:Thanks again, Mike. I just got on their waiting list. It costs just $80 to refurbish the unit so I think that's going to be a go.
How did you get on their waiting list? I tried to email them, but never heard back.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Maybe I should have said that I e-mailed my request. I'm just assuming that they'll get it. The site announcement says they're back up and running. I could be wrong, though, sorry. I'll certainly let you know either way.
All I wanna do is rock!
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

[/quote]How did you get on their waiting list? I tried to email them, but never heard back.[/quote]

Girls always get to the front of the list :lol:

Eventually I'm gonna have them refurbish my sustainor model. I also need to find another module to fit in my original rack tray. I tried putting a Boss 1/2 space eq in there, but was too wide by a hair. Drat! I don't think their rack trays allow other companies rack gear to fit in there with their modules. Oh well, 500th on the list of stuff to do.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

whojamfan wrote:Girls always get to the front of the list :lol:
That's it, yeah. I'm special. I'm going right to the top of the list :D He said a woman of my talent deserves the finest treatment. (I guess he liked the boudoir photos) :mrgreen:
All I wanna do is rock!
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

kiramdear wrote:
whojamfan wrote:Girls always get to the front of the list :lol:
That's it, yeah. I'm special. I'm going right to the top of the list :D He said a woman of my talent deserves the finest treatment. (I guess he liked the boudoir photos) :mrgreen:
How could he not?

Return to “The Low End”