Looking for a small SS practice amp - Microcube or DA5?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

kenf
Veteran RRF member

Looking for a small SS practice amp - Microcube or DA5?

Post by kenf »

I'm looking to get a small second amp to leave upstairs for low volume practice. Everybody recommends the Roland, but I'm finding myself drawn to the Vox DA5 - the built-in effects seem to be better suited for dialing in jangle. I'm in the under $200 price range; I play a 650D and am hoping for a 660/12 at some point.

Comments and suggestions from owners?
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Re: Looking for a small SS practice amp - Microcube or DA5?

Post by whojamfan »

I have a Vox DA-5 and absolutely love it for what I use it for.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Michael my boy out of interest I know that this baby has a power output switch as to save battery life 6 c batteries.How long do you reckon you can get playing with the batteries?
kenf
Veteran RRF member

Post by kenf »

whojamfan wrote:I have a Vox DA-5 and absolutely love it for what I use it for.
You use it for...?

How are the effects, especially the compression and compression + chorus?

I'm also considering one of the larger DA models - I have an original Pignose for pure portability, so being able to run off batteries isn't very important for me.
kenf
Veteran RRF member

Post by kenf »

Ooops - I didn't realize they all could run off battery! The DA20 is looking interesting... but it's hard to argue with the size and price of the DA5.

Doesn anyone know the tonal differences between the various models in the DA range?
kenf
Veteran RRF member

Post by kenf »

This sucks - the more I read, the more I find that lures me higher and higher up the food chain...

Now I'm looking at the smaller Valvetronix amps like the VT-15 and VT-30 - from what I'm reading they may be more of what I'm looking for tonally. I like how they can be dialed way down in power.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Slippery slope, ain't it? :lol:

The more you look the more there is to see, but it's all good with Vox these days. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
kenf
Veteran RRF member

Post by kenf »

kiramdear wrote:Slippery slope, ain't it? :lol:

Weeeeeeee!
collin

Post by collin »

kenf wrote:
Now I'm looking at the smaller Valvetronix amps like the VT-15 and VT-30 - from what I'm reading they may be more of what I'm looking for tonally. I like how they can be dialed way down in power.

I highly reccommend the VT-30. If you're looking for a small practice amp for low volumes (or headphone use), you can't beat the Vox. I was actually vehemently against modeling amps, but they surprised me, and they do a damn good job for a practice amp. Cheap too.
ric330
Intermediate Member

Post by ric330 »

Wilberry is using a DA5 maybe he'll jump in with his take on it.
I've heard they are alot of fun for a small amp.
I've never tried one though.
...went in to buy a 52' Tele and walked out with a 360 Jetglo...
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

I love my DA5. Obviously it does not have the low end response a larger amp does. The 6" speaker is actually surprising though. Don't let the small size fool you, it can be very loud. If your drummer doesn't Keith Moon on you, it can do the job. I do like the portability with all the great models. The DA5 goes to the cottage, goes busking (very cool looks on teh acoustic gutiar folks faces) and to picnics, even a jam night once.

Great amp. I compared mine to a Cube and was very happy my wife had the good taste to go Vox when she thought of a cool birthday gift.

Great amp.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
kenf
Veteran RRF member

Post by kenf »

I'm only half kidding when I say that maybe I should just get both a DA5 and a VT-30...
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I drive a semi cross country and have very little room in my condo(cab)for an amp. The DA-5 was a perfect choice both size wise and feature wise. The first amp setting(JC-120)with the compressor between 11 and 1:00 sounds awesome with my 360/12FGVP, very convincing and satisfying. The AC30 setting sounds very nice with my 330FG, providing both clean chime and overdriven "Jam" style tones. The 3 settings in between those 2 provide very nice Fender style tones that compliment my strat, giving me those sounds should I want them. My Gibsons sound full and rich through the OD/Distortion models, given very good approximations of 70s rock through modern metal, all without sounding like stepping on a bag of potato chips. The models all sound usable, and some are fantastic, not a bum in the bunch.

The effects sound good as well, and even offer a little programmability. The autowah is a very convincing envelope filter that does its job well without sounding sterile, you can really get this thing to "spit" and is pretty touch sensitive. The compressor works great, and my biggest complaint with this amp(as with just about all of the Vox modeling amps)is that the reverb isn't a seperate control, but rather just a option you can access with the effects rotary switch. Bummer, the comp and reverb together would sound great. The Phaser is great, and unlike so many other modeled phase shifters, doesn't sound like it has a flat tire. The Flanger is also very usable, as well as the Chorus, which isn't over the top or take over the sound when used. Very cool. The Reverb and Delay are also very nice sounding, and a good setting and mix are easy to achieve.

Tha amp has 3 power settings, and I use the lowest setting of 1/4 watt. I find this to be well loud enough, and the batteries last a very long time. I have the wall wart with me as well, but have rarely had to use it. The other 2 settings are nice as well, but I find I don't really miss much by using the lowest power. On the new Vox AC4TV I got, the power selector offers drastic differences in sound change. The 4 watt setting really fills out and rounds the bottom end. Not so much the case with the DA-5, but there is a little change.

I have a POD XT Live that I have all of the modeling packs for that I keep in the truck with me in case I run in to a jam or something. It has all of the guitar and bass options in it, so I mainly use it for my 4003AFG. I plug the bass in to the POD, and the POD in to the aux in on the back of the AD-5. I control the overall volume with the POD, and now I have a great sounding bass rig in my truck. I also have a Tascam CD trainer that I bought years ago to learn covers for a bar band I was in, and can plug the line out of the tascam in to the aux in of the POD, then the POD in to the aux in of the Vox, and the instrument in to the input of the pod. This allows me to play along with CDs(at any speed or phrase loop)with any tone and/or amp, through a amplified speaker instead of headphones. When all of the levels are set right, it sounds like I'm playing on the recording, rather than with it.

I have not tried the microphone input other than to see how it compared to the aux in. I really don't have a need to plug a mic in to it, as I'm not really a street performer. If I was, people would be throwing money in the case for me to stop singing-haha.

I rotate my instruments everytime I go out to keep it all fresh, and discover new "fine tunings" that compliment the instrument. I save these in my POD, and when I'm recording or need to travel lightly to play somewhere, the tones are pre set. BTW, I like most of the effects in the DA-5 better than those in the POD. I think those guys were stoned that day they modeled some of those effects, as they are pretty lame, IMHO.

I hope this gives enough detail of how this little amp does everything I need it to do, and a description of its functions and versatility.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Mike,Thanks for the information on the amp im sure it has helped others in a way closer to understanding what this little vox can do. :D Cheers
kenf
Veteran RRF member

Post by kenf »

I had a chance to check out a VT-15 today at lunch - *major* impressed. I still need to get over to CG and try them all in one setting.

Great info, Mike - thank you!

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”