New bobbin

Post by pacealot »

For Sérgio - here is my stab at a "transitional" PC board bobbin:
greenpu1.jpg
greenpu2.jpg
greenpu3.jpg
Crummy camera phone pic right before winding
Crummy camera phone pic right before winding
Al Lasher's in Berkeley had some old PC board which had greened a lot, and it seemed just right for this, and I badly needed a bobbin. Some 44 AWG copper wire, four steel slot head screws and some electrical tape, and several patient hours, and there you have it. It's about 6.25K, and actually sounds good, which is amazing to me considering that I made the thing!

Now if I can get my hands on a hi-gain magnet, then I can free up the horseshoe for another insidious bobbin.... :mrgreen:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: New bobbin

Post by johnallg »

Paul, how did you wind the #44 without breaking the wire?? Very nice job! Want to trade a wound coil for a higain magnet?
pacealot

Post by pacealot »

Very carefully! 44 is like hair, it's true. I just had to be very, very patient and gentle.

I would be very interested in a trade. PM me!
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Nice work! Not for the highly caffeinated, I'm sure. I'd like to try that myself sometime. 8) Where did you get the wire?
All I wanna do is rock!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

You can get some on Ebay, directly from RIC:
http://cgi.ebay.com/REA-44PE-copper-mag ... 1|294%3A50

or
http://cgi.ebay.com/REA-44PE-copper-mag ... 1|294%3A50

They say it's similar to what they use although it isn't the exact wire they use...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
pacealot

Post by pacealot »

Wow, didn't see the Ric Outlet stuff. I did get it on eBay, from BAE I think. I don't know the subtle differences between the different wire and coatings and their effects on the sound, but what I got worked great. Yeah, not a job for shaky hands! (The Who's Mary Anne would be a poor pickup winder! :wink: )

I had fun doing it, in spite of the danger of frustration and disaster. I figure the worst that could happen would be I would have no bobbin, where no bobbin existed before. And so any bobbin at all was an improvement over none!

The PC board really is that green, too. It's probably more opaque than many of the "real" green bobbins that I've seen, but it IS authentically aged! That stuff was probably sitting up there at Al Lasher's since I've been going there as a teenager! (i.e., a very long time ago :shock: )
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Hey! That's perfect, Paul - honest! You should consider becoming a pickup builder/winder yourself. :D
pacealot

Post by pacealot »

Aww, Sérgio, you know that flattery will get you everywhere. :wink:
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

I thought it was the other way around... :mrgreen:

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”