miguel
RRF Consultant

Re: Spanish bands with Rickenbackers

Post by miguel »

And you are absolutely right, Richard!
rickyvox

Post by rickyvox »

I noticed in the last months more Rickenbacker bass sightings between spanish pop & rock bands, as well.
Juanclapton

Post by Juanclapton »

Mi ingles es suficiente para entenderos pero no para escribir correctamente. Sorry.
No tengo seguridad de cual fué el primer grupo español que utilizó Ricks, lo cual debatis en otro hilo, pero lo que me dicen mis recuerdos de los sesenta es que ese sonido que tanto me gustaba de los Byrds o los Searchers lo oí por primera vez a los Pasos. Por cierto vaya temazo que era "Ojo por ojo" del que también hicieron una versión en inglés. A los Brincos no los identifico con el sonido Rickenbaker, ni a los Canarios tampoco.
Un saludo y felicidades por esta página.
rickyvox

Post by rickyvox »

hola, Juan:

pues posiblemente sea así. si lo miramos desde la perspectiva de que el sonido Rickenbacker por antonomasia seguramente es el de la 12 cuerdas. y porque Joaquín Torres creó riffs y frases con su guitarra de 12 cuerdas que son inmediatamente reconocibles y quedan en la memoria... lo curioso es que una parte importante de aquellas grabaciones con Los Pasos las hizo con una Framus-12 (una Framus 5/012 Sorento), y no con la Rickenbacker 360-12 que le trajeron desde USA en 1967. Aqui tienes fotos de ambas:

La Framus 5/012 en la portada de uno de sus singles:

Y puede verse una foto de la Rickenbacker 360-12 '67 de Joaquín Torres en este link.

now back to english, for any other reader...
if we consider Rickenbacker 12 string guitar as "the Rickenbacker sound", then Joaquin Torres probably was the first prominent guitar player to have used a 12 string guitar, as an important part of his sound with his spanish pop group Los Pasos.
ricardo_vicente

Post by ricardo_vicente »

Interesting to hear about his German guitar.

Is that a recent photo of the Rickenbaker? It seems to be in extraordinarily good condition.
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

Julio knows that better than me, but yes, I believe it's a picture of that vintage Rickenbacker.

Changing the subject, we must bear in mind that Los Brincos did use Rickenbackers from 1967 onwards. There are songs from that year and the next that sounds very 'Ricky' (v. gr: 'The Train').

By the way, welcome Juan!
Juanclapton

Post by Juanclapton »

Julio: Tienes razon en lo de que se asimila la Rickenbaker a las 12 cuerdas. El sonido del primer single de los Pasos, cuya portada reproduces, evidentemente no era de Rickenbaker, pero yo pensaba que lo habían grabado con una 12 cuerdas acústica (es que me suena igual que una Hofner 12 del 66 que tuve). La Framus es una guitarra que no le tengo muy cogido el sonido. Un saludo.
rickyvox

Post by rickyvox »

Richard: yes, as Miguel said, that 360-12 shot was taken recently. The guitar it's in stunning condition, considering its age. And it's a wonderful player. It has roundwounds. Joaquin Torres took great care of it, because it's one of his favourites instruments. Some well-known spaniards musicians have made good use of it, Torres is now one of the best producers around here.

Juan, no sé si prefieres que te conteste en castellano o inglés. Como decía Miguel antes, espero que no sea ningún problema. :!: Bueno, sobre la Framus y este single, en realidad tu oido acierta. En "Anouschtka" se grabó la Framus 12 cuerdas como si fuera una acústica, con micro. Lo que ocurrió es que, inadvertidamente, la guitarra aún estaba enchufada al ampli, aunque a muy bajo volumen. Cuando a continuación escucharon la toma grabada, se dieron cuenta de este detalle, de que el micro también había captado el sonido del ampli. Pero consideraron que quedaba muy bien, y finalmente lo dejaron así. La historia completa está contada en esta sección de la web de Miguel, Popthing. Incluído el destino final de aquella Framus 12.
rickyvox

Post by rickyvox »

just another new spanish band with Rickenbacker: Charades.
they released in 2008 a pretty nice record, with some really good pop songs in it...
click this link:

Charades "En Ningún Lugar" video
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

Lovely band, The Charades!
Thank you very much, Julio!
You should put here a link to Los Elementos' blog...
rickyvox

Post by rickyvox »

Miguel, I forgot about this thread, here you have it:
http://www.los-elementos.blogspot.com/

well, I came here because I think I didn't mention before another great spanish rock band with Rickenbacker: their name is maldebares.
Laura is a wonderful singer, and she plays great rhythm guitar gimmicks, too. she uses live a mapleglo Rickenbacker 360.

http://www.myspace.com/maldebaresband

rickyvox

Post by rickyvox »

it's about time to mention another interesting spanish band with Rickenbackers:
Los Escándalos

a really nice Rickenbacker couple:
1997 RM fireglo, and 4001S jetglo

(at least, that's what appears to be from that distance, the pic it's not very clear)

they were connected to the spanish mod scene during the 80's.
I'm sure the spanish forumites remember them well.
ricardo_vicente

Post by ricardo_vicente »

Great guitars and great suits! 8)
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

Lovely band, Los Escándalos. I remember I heard them play live on national radio (Radio 3), more than 20 years ago. The guitarist was an absolute fan of Pete Townshend, he even did the famous 'windmill' at the request of the show's host!
rickyvox

Post by rickyvox »

I've read they lost some of their instruments in a car crash...

Another spanish band with Rickenbackers (and new cd edited: "Love Unique"):
Sugar Mountain, like Neil Young's classic song.

They make rock, and they use 12 strings throught their new album, it deserves a look. Here's a clip of a song from this brand new cd, recorded with Ken Coomer and Charlie Brocco... it's called "I Feel Down", and the video has a nice Rickenbacker played by Yago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3QDczJd-60

http://www.myspace.com/sugarmountainmusic

Return to “Spanish Chapter: by Miguel Valpuesta”