Ramones as "Mommy's little helper"?

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Ramones as "Mommy's little helper"?

Post by sowhat »

A bit of personal stuff, hope you won't mind. :oops:
I confess. Maybe this sounds silly, words like "this band has changed my life", but still.
Not that i have never heard them before that moment, that's just i didn't pay that much attention to their music. Cool, wild and loud, but that was about all. As a teenager, i preferred music that was moody, complicated, long songs, lots of words and so on. Short simple songs telling about real life of real people seemed too silly. They did draw attention, to be true, it's just — well, you know, people around knew better what a smart person should listen to and love. Silly as it may seem, way back then i did want to be smart — or, at least, be considered to be smart by people around.
And then it happened, around year 2000. Maybe just the moment was right, i dunno. Just heard them again and thought, hey, that is really cool, that is exactly what i needed all those 21 or 22 years. Not complicated or "smart"? Hey, who cares?
Believe it or not, they've really helped me realize there's no need to pretend you're smart and "know the secret". Being oneself is much more important than looking good — cause if you're covered with leaf-gold "outside" and empty "inside", people will notice that; and people are smart enough to understand what you're really worth, showing off is a silly game. And, believe it or not, they've taught me how to smile, be optimistic. Helped understand that life's not as bad as some people say, it's actually quite amazing. Not that they were saying that, it was more like something between the lines. Today, some of my friends say i'm an optimistic idiot person bubbling with life (or at least more often than not), the one who believes that sense of humour is the most efficient weapon of all. Nobody would have said that back in the day when i was 17 or so.
That's the story. Sorry if it was too long and sounded too boring or too silly. :)
Cheers,
SC.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Ramones as "Mommy's little helper"?

Post by kiramdear »

Not at all silly, Sheena. Simplicity and humor can sometimes convey a very complicated message, and the "spaces" inside the form provoke and provide the listener a means to provide the subjective details of his or her own unique path of life and to feel the message more deeply, and to discover their own way to understanding and progress within their experience of life, and to find the answers that help one specifically. I've always believed this. I had the same experience with the Beatles' early music - part of this phenomenon may be generational and have to do with age and formative stages of growing up.
All I wanna do is rock!
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Gabba Gabba Hey! :wink:
Great band for so many reasons.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

And for no reason as well, Mike. Hey, is there really any need for "reasoning"? :wink:
Yes, Kira. One of many great things about music is that anybody can hear something they want or need to hear in-between the lines. And realizing that there are things one doesn't know or understand is perhaps another part of growing up.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

+1 all around.

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”