Hello All, Goodbye Psychedelia

Learning McCartney's bass lines
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Hello All, Goodbye Psychedelia

Post by rickinroma »

Here is my second video

Hello Goodbye, late 1967, maybe one of the last example of Beatle psychedelia, presents Paul with his Rickenbacker 4001S psicoloured during The "magic" Night Before All You Need Is Love performed on TV.

I'll write more tomorrow about everything....in the meanwhile, please, enjoy the video

Good Night :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D9ANinlVdug&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D9ANinlVdug&hl=it_IT&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
86kubicki
Advanced Member

Re: Hello All, Goodbye Psychedelia

Post by 86kubicki »

Excellent job Francesco! I never realized there was no bass during the outro! Also, what Vox amp are you using?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Another wonderful job, Francesco. I love the psychedelic ending as well. McCartney's bass style certainly changed since I Saw Her Standing There. A different tone with the Rickenbacker to be sure.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

Francesco, thanks Bro, great job on that jam. Your tone is spot on. Bro I've got to ask, how many Ric basses do you own? Mark
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Great playing and tone Francesco!!!

You great aesthetic style as well, both in personal appearance, and your backdrop! :D
GATSBY

Post by GATSBY »

Great job francesco! are you using flats?
Henry
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

As indicated in the video info, I used the Anthology track, if you are familiar with you know that this version does not have bass parts and it is an alternative mix with respect to the final version appeared in 67 (single + MMT US album).

What I did is to play along with this bass-less track, performing the same bass lines note-per-note played by Paul McCartney on the official Hello Goodbye song. Both sources have been then reverserd into a single audio file.

I employed my 2006 4001C64S strung with TI flats JF344 through my 1966 Super Foundation Bass amplifier VOX/JMI.

I tried to achieve the same feel and tone and volume of the bass in the original song published... I think the result is pretty satisfying.

Finally I made a couple of clips (with my wife as camerawoman) and I combined them in syncro with the audio file, trying to focalise the images as better as possible on the most relevant and interesting parts of the player's performance.

@Mark I have 4 rick basses
May 1997 Fireglo 4001V63 (TI flats)
Feb 2004 4003 Blue Boy (rickenbacker RWs)
Nov 1967 4005 Mapleglo (rickenbacker RWs)
2006 4001C64 (TI flats)

The Amplifier can be combined with his original 1x18 VOX cab or with my custom made 2x12 also VOX and head produces 200W solid state peak power
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Great stuff Francesco!
Ka is a wheel.
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

Great job Francesco! Good camera work by the wife, too! Fun ending.
BTW, it might be too difficult to tell from watching the video, but your TI flats do not seem as lose as the TI flats that are on my Maple 4001. How's the tension?
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

David

I remember posting somewhere (don't remember the topic), that in my opinion, TI flats are NOT loose/floppy the way common opinion has extensively stated during the years.

When I switched from the factory rick RWs into the TI flats on both on my V63 and C64S, my luthier said that preserving the same action as before, NO neck adjustement had been necessary to facilitate the new set up. He just had to intonate the bridge saddles a little bit.

Even the feel on my fingers (right and left hand), apart from the fact that they have a smooth surface compared to the RWs, was pretty the same....the perception of the tension and the strings hardness is pretty similar
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Francesco also has a very light touch. I found TI's to be a little floppy at first, but I gradually just lightened my touch a bit and have found this to be a positive change in my bass playing. Thanks TI! :lol:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

sloop_john_b wrote:Francesco also has a very light touch. I found TI's to be a little floppy at first, but I gradually just lightened my touch a bit and have found this to be a positive change in my bass playing. Thanks TI! :lol:
+1000 :!:
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Good work, Francesco! I enjoyed your playing!
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
longboard_ric
Intermediate Member

Post by longboard_ric »

Great work again Francesco!!!!

Thanks very much :D
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

A wonderful job, Francesco! Now that I'm moving into the world of bass playing, I will need someone to teach me Paul's way of playing. If I watch a video enough, I manage to learn the bassline.

Return to “Paul McCartney's Bass Style: by Francesco Fai”