Pick up differences on two 70s 360s

Transition years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1973-1983 inclusive

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Jimmy-Jim-Jim

Pick up differences on two 70s 360s

Post by Jimmy-Jim-Jim »

One of my 360's (1977 Mapleglo) has tremendous sustain and sounds almost (for a Rickenbacker) like a hard rocking Gibson (an SG, a Paul), although it does have an undertone growl. But the 1978 Fireglow has no sustain at all is deeply woody on the bass strings, fairly weak on the middle strings, and is far from being a screamer on the trebles - but it is marvellous for chords dry punchy spiky, in a musical way. It seems that the Fireglow has the 'real' Rickenbacker sound beaty trebly quirky and the mapleglo while retaining some of its Rickness is perfect for 70s rockgod solos (I prefer the former!).

My question is how can two so closely dated guitars of the same model sound so different? The pickups are I believe identical on both, is there some inner wiring thing that may have been tweek'd on the mapleglow which would add sustain and mid (because I know for sure that the Fireglow is completely mint). Or is it just that in the mid 70s two 'identical' guitars can sound very different?
chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Re: Pick up differences on two 70s 360s

Post by chronictown »

Hi Jim - that's a very interesting question, and although I can't answer it myself having never played 70's Ricks I'm curious to see what others will say. In the meantime, is there any noticeable difference in weight between the two guitars? I've heard that some 300-series Ricks from the late 70s - early 80's had very thick tops and were relatively hefty - maybe that might be influencing the sustain in your case?
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I think it's the wood.
badeggs
Intermediate Member

Post by badeggs »

Are the pickups at the same height?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Cap?
Jimmy-Jim-Jim

Post by Jimmy-Jim-Jim »

The guitars are not identical and have distinct personalities, possibly resulting from a different batch, a different man. But there is no real difference in weight, and there are differences in the pick up heights but again I dont think this can account for such large a tonal difference. I thought it might be a capacitor or something in the inner wiring that may have been by-passed in the Mapleglo. Does the standard wiring use capacitors to mould the tone? I was just playing both of them, and the MP is louder and overdrives much more at the same amp volume.
Jimmy-Jim-Jim

Post by Jimmy-Jim-Jim »

Hi John, just seen your reply and I think you anticipated me. Cap = capacitor, a more locacious account of your wisdom would be much appreciated!

Jim
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Jimmy-Jim-Jim wrote:Hi John, just seen your reply and I think you anticipated me. Cap = capacitor, a more locacious account of your wisdom would be much appreciated!

Jim
Hi Jim! From the 60's through the mid 80's, Rickenbackers had a capacitor on the bridge pickup which would cut the bass, and with it most of the volume and good tone of the pickup as well. Some were privy to this and simply bypassed or removed said capacitor, others with a heavier hand went ahead and shoved a Gibson humbucker where a Gibson humbucker does not belong.

Could be that one of yours has it, and one doesn't?
Jimmy-Jim-Jim

Post by Jimmy-Jim-Jim »

Thanks, I am going to try to post a photo of the innards of the Mapleglo it does look like one of the yellow wires to the MWF2547 might be cut.
Jimmy-Jim-Jim

Post by Jimmy-Jim-Jim »

Found it
Attachments
024 - Copy.JPG
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

*The* cap should be labeled .0047.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Transition Years - 1973 to 1983”