That makes at least two KIRAs who play Ricks...

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

That makes at least two KIRAs who play Ricks...

Post by Bighouse »

Because I told you before- oh, you can't do that.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Re: That makes at least two KIRAs who play Ricks...

Post by whojamfan »

Was she the one who replaced Chuck Dukowski in Black Flag, or was that yet another Kira who plays a Rick?
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

Yes, she was in Black Flag.
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

She was also married to Mike Watt for a while...and apparently wrote quite a bit of the material for Firehose.
Because I told you before- oh, you can't do that.
thedanielwilliams

Post by thedanielwilliams »

Bighouse wrote:She was also married to Mike Watt for a while...and apparently wrote quite a bit of the material for Firehose.
They still tour together as Dos--two basses only. I saw them at the Smell in Los Angeles last year. I can't remember what she was playing, though.
collin

Post by collin »

whojamfan wrote:Was she the one who replaced Chuck Dukowski in Black Flag, or was that yet another Kira who plays a Rick?

Yeah, much as I like Kira (great bassist!), Chuck Dukowski WAS Black Flag, along with Greg Ginn.

Sad, that band had so many lineup changes---first question most BF fans have when they meet each other..."what's your favorite lineup?"

I'm voting" Greg Ginn, Chuck Dukowski, Ron Reyes, ROBO era (as seen in Decline of American Civ. doumentary). ....maybe early Rollins era w/Dez Cadena too.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I saw them a few times right after Rollins joined the band, and live, this was definitely my favorite lineup. Rollins had a psychotic stage presence that seemed to push the band a little harder, instead of cheekier or snottier like the singers before him. You'd also be hard pressed to find a more fuzzed out ratted guitar tone, and Chuck and Robo really steamrolled with the rhythm section.
I saw them after the "My War" album was released, and it was evident to me that the band I had seen a few years back had really changed. The band seemed tamer and safer, and Rollins gave me the impression he was trying to be some Charles Bukowski meets Jim Morrisson type. Certainly not the "in your face" trainwreck in progress that had made the band so formidable live when I had last seen them.
As a bigtime old fan of Black Flag, I really like all of the lineups for what they do, but live, it is hands down the "Damaged" lineup.
collin

Post by collin »

whojamfan wrote:I saw them a few times right after Rollins joined the band, and live, this was definitely my favorite lineup. Rollins had a psychotic stage presence that seemed to push the band a little harder, instead of cheekier or snottier like the singers before him. You'd also be hard pressed to find a more fuzzed out ratted guitar tone, and Chuck and Robo really steamrolled with the rhythm section.

Nice, I'm jealous! A few years too young is the story of my life. :lol:

That was a great time in the band's history. I think it's so great because at that point, Rollins was singing songs as a fan, singing lyrics he didn't write---on classic BF material (Six Pack, Clocked In, Rise Above etc), but throwing himself into singing his favorite songs.

Seems like after he started writing his own stuff (and Ginn got way into slow dirge metal), that they started losing the spark.

Love this clip of that period:

Just look how hard Rollins is into that! Pre-poetic bodybuilder era. :lol:
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Great stuff Collin! Thanks for posting that, made my day :D
thedanielwilliams

Post by thedanielwilliams »

collin wrote:Seems like after he started writing his own stuff (and Ginn got way into slow dirge metal), that they started losing the spark.
I feel like they did their best, but most inconsistent stuff in that period--my favorite BF songs are on In My Head (Paralyzed, IMH, Drinking and Driving), but there're a lot of stinkers on that record, too. Same with Loose Nut--some great stuff, some horrible stuff. The "punk" records were consistent, but I don't think Greg Ginn had really arrived as a player at that point--the stuff that make him really interesting to me as a music all happened near the end of BF.
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

if I'm not mistaken, Kira's got the 10 and a 1/2 :lol: :lol: :lol:
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”