Lou Barlow's 4001 & His Ric Opinions

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

spongebob
Intermediate Member

Lou Barlow's 4001 & His Ric Opinions

Post by spongebob »

On Lou Barlow's (Dinosaur Jr, Sebadoh, etc) website, he discusses his (stolen) 1973 4001, and why he hasn't replaced it with another Ric.

What he says is quite surprising.

Incidentally in the picture I saw, his 4001 looks very modified. I know he said when it was stolen it was in poor condition, but the pickguard looked very close to the edge of the bass!
1974 (February) 4001 JG
cassius987

Re: Lou Barlow's 4001 & His Ric Opinions

Post by cassius987 »

This being based on a link to another forum, which is against the house rules here, will likely get this thread deleted. Besides, I'm not sure what's interesting about Lou's post--so he doesn't think Rics are all that great. I can find you half a dozen people who think that in less than five minutes!
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Joshua is right. I had to edit Bob's post.
Due to incidents in past when inflammatory arguments due to links to other forums happened here, links to other forums are against RRF rules.
Iain, I hope we have your understanding and cooperation in this matter. Thanks.

If Lou Barlow doesn't like Ricks, he doesn't like Ricks. Oh well. The basses he plays now aren't my favorites.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
spongebob
Intermediate Member

Post by spongebob »

Oops!

Really sorry about that - didn't realise I couldn't link.
cassius987 wrote:This being based on a link to another forum, which is against the house rules here, will likely get this thread deleted. Besides, I'm not sure what's interesting about Lou's post--so he doesn't think Rics are all that great. I can find you half a dozen people who think that in less than five minutes!
I found it interesting, as Lou's role in Dino closely identified him with a Ric for such a time. Having changed over, he struggled to say anything good about it, and seems not interested in another.

Surprised he played one for so long, that's all. :roll:
1974 (February) 4001 JG
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I guess it's partly an issue of me not really knowing who this guy is--but really I'm just not concerned with people who talk about whether they like Rics or not on public fora, so I guess I'm probably not going to be very good at contributing to this topic. I mean, frankly I don't miss Geddy Lee as a "Ric bassist" either and I just wish the topic of "Will he pick a Ric up again?" would die. It's not important, and it's not even correct, because it suggests that his assessment and use of Rics should somehow affect ours. I totally disagree with that.

Anyways, I don't mean to stomp on your thread--if other Dinosaur Jr. fans come along to discuss I hope they will. I think I just automatically reacted to the notion that what this guy had to say was even important, any more so than the countless folks on TalkBass arguing about whether Gibson T-Birds have neck dive, if the Ric 4000-series tailpiece is "okay" or "downright awful", whether Rondo basses are as good as Fenders or not. It just seems like one big meaningless argument to me because it always breaks down to personal experiences that can't be reproduced...
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

I agree with you Joshua, well done. :wink:
VRICKY63
Intermediate Member

Post by VRICKY63 »

What a funny thread :lol: First chuckle of the day !
It's too early in the morning to talk about our relationship !
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

I agree with you also, Joshua. But unfortunately words from players like Lou can leave a negative impression about Ricks on younger, inexperienced players.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
jbrando

Post by jbrando »

cassius987 wrote: It's not important, and it's not even correct, because it suggests that his [Geddy's] assessment and use of Rics should somehow affect ours. I totally disagree with that.
I disagree with that because Geddy Lee was the reason I wanted a Ric (I'm certain I'm not the only one), and I bought my first one in 1997 which was well after he went through his "Ric phase." Even though he's used Fender, Steinberger and Wal basses throughout his career, he will always, like it or not, be associated with Rickenbacker. You have to give the guy credit (along with McCartney, Squire, etc.) for bringing A LOT of people to Rickenbacker. Whether or not he picks one up again is of no consequence, but you can't discredit the influence he's had on folks' perception of Ric basses just by being associated with them.
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

he hasn't replaced his '73 cause a '73 is irreplaceable ! :wink:
fenbass

Post by fenbass »

cassius987 wrote:I guess it's partly an issue of me not really knowing who this guy is--but really I'm just not concerned with people who talk about whether they like Rics or not on public fora, so I guess I'm probably not going to be very good at contributing to this topic. I mean, frankly I don't miss Geddy Lee as a "Ric bassist" either and I just wish the topic of "Will he pick a Ric up again?" would die. It's not important, and it's not even correct, because it suggests that his assessment and use of Rics should somehow affect ours. I totally disagree with that.

Anyways, I don't mean to stomp on your thread--if other Dinosaur Jr. fans come along to discuss I hope they will. I think I just automatically reacted to the notion that what this guy had to say was even important, any more so than the countless folks on TalkBass arguing about whether Gibson T-Birds have neck dive, if the Ric 4000-series tailpiece is "okay" or "downright awful", whether Rondo basses are as good as Fenders or not. It just seems like one big meaningless argument to me because it always breaks down to personal experiences that can't be reproduced...
I frankly do miss Geddy as a Ric bassist ....I think some of his best work was with his Ric....and he DID use it on the last tour for the fans.....and lets face it when you see a Jetglo Ric what first comes to mind (Geddy) so a BIG +1 to John he was my Influnce as well..............John Wagoner
haw

Post by haw »

Iain,

Can you possibly PM the link to me - I can't find it on Lou's site.

Thanks in advance.
spongebob
Intermediate Member

Post by spongebob »

PM'd.
1974 (February) 4001 JG
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

haw wrote:Iain,

Can you possibly PM the link to me - I can't find it on Lou's site.

Thanks in advance.

me too?1?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Guys, I don't think it's against the rules to at least post what he wrote here. It's bringing on some interesting discussion.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”