Madchester

Reports from the United Kingdom
scotty

Madchester

Post by scotty »

About time we kicked off this thread with some of the best music Britain ever produced.Givin it large...

Plenty more of Ian Brown and John Squire to come but until then enjoy Elephant Stone you know you want to.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Madchester

Post by jps »

To me, this band produced some of the best music from the UK. :D
scotty

Post by scotty »

Jeff its Manchester music you numpty! :lol: Ok folks ignore that from jeff he is on a Jet ski to the Isle of Whatmatalkinaboot :lol:

Ok youve really torn it now

Madchester was a music scene that developed in Manchester, England, towards the end of the 1980s and into the early 1990s. The music that emerged from the scene mixed indie rock, psychedelic rock and dance music. Artists associated with the scene included The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, 808 State, James, The Charlatans, A Guy Called Gerald and other notable bands. At that time, The Haçienda nightclub was a major catalyst for the distinctive musical ethos in the city that was called the Second Summer of Love.

"Voodoo Ray" is a 1988 Acid House single by Gerald Simpson, recording under the name A Guy Called Gerald. The single was released the UK in 1988, in the 7" and 12" vinyl formats, on the Rham! label. It reached number 12 in the UK singles chart, and was the best selling independently released single in 1989. It was released in the USA in 1989 by Warlock Records. It also appeared on A Guy Called Gerald's 1988 album Hot Lemonade, and a rerecorded version called "Voodoo Ray Americas" appeared on Gerald's 1990 album Automanikk, which was released on Columbia/CBS Records.
Last edited by scotty on Sat May 29, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Never mind, then. But you did say:
some of the best music Britain ever produced
:mrgreen:
scotty

Post by scotty »

jps wrote:Never mind, then. But you did say:
some of the best music Britain ever produced
:mrgreen:
Alas your correct but not in this thread. :lol:
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

Dont get me started on the Stone Roses.
That 60s 4005 MG was in mint condition in A1 Manchester for £699 and I should have bought it before they wrecked it!
scotty

Post by scotty »

seyesbass wrote:Dont get me started on the Stone Roses.
That 60s 4005 MG was in mint condition in A1 Manchester for £699 and I should have bought it before they wrecked it!
aye should have snapped that one up Pete.
I remember this gig really well got the bus down from glasgow with a couple of mates and had a Top weekend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cities_in_the_Park
so with that in mind one of the bands playing that weekend were Scotlands own Soup dragons.Get yer baggy jeans on and bounce.
JM82

Post by JM82 »

seyesbass wrote:Dont get me started on the Stone Roses.
It's on display at the 02 British Music Experience;
http://www.britishmusicexperience.com/tour/

click on the "more" arrows and go to the 1985-1993 section - it's in a display case with a matching boiler suit!
scotty

Post by scotty »

Took me a while to suss that one out James but i found it.cheers :D
JM82

Post by JM82 »

scotty wrote:Took me a while to suss that one out James but i found it.cheers :D
I know it's not the easiest to use, that virtual tour thing. Now I just need to use it to find the quickest route from that display case to the nearest exit and a waiting getaway car :twisted:
scotty

Post by scotty »

Third door on your left then a right :twisted:
watton_earth

Post by watton_earth »

I wonder how many other people have recently rediscovered music from their youth that they actually missed the first time round? I was a stone roses fan in 1990 but unfortunatly, I got into so called dance music... Chemically enhanced as I was at the time I didn't listen to anything else, believe or not I more or less missed out on about 10 years of all other musical genres, sure I was aware of Oasis Blur etc, but I didn't buy any of those albums...oh the shame!

Still now that's all in the past, and I'm having lots of fun listening to 20 year albums for the first time.

The Madchester scene holds a special place in my memory because it was the music I was into before my musical 'dark ages' and in any case I can't really remember what happened next anyway.

One of my favourites... Can you feel me moo? I hope so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p22RlO6nPE
I want to be a door too...
scotty

Post by scotty »

Love it IainI always enjoyed Two worlds collide always thought this was brilliant Always once to dance to if your bass strap is way too low :wink:
watton_earth

Post by watton_earth »

Awesome! My sister met Tom Hingley in Bournemoth last month, I told her to ask him if he would like to feel her moo... she declined.

This one sends goose bumps down my spine...(flash back)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbDtvxNXZQo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbDtvxNXZQo[/youtube]
watton_earth

Post by watton_earth »

hhmmmm a swing and a miss...How do you embed you tube videos?

Return to “United Kingdom Chapter”