The Left Banke

Discussing 60s and 70s Garage Band Music
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

The Left Banke

Post by kenposurf »

Bourque Rock?...maybe...couple of great songs that were part of the transition from garage-psych...as I recall they had one really bad album cover...anyone got a pic?

Hey do we know these guys?
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Re: The Left Banke

Post by elreydlp »

In "The Pendeltons", our keyboard player got a pretty good harpsichord out of his Farfisa on the "percusssion" setting. We did "Renee", but not "Ballerina".
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

George...My English professor in college wrote the liner notes to the first Left Banke album-Jere Real was his name. He was a closet gay as I remember, and the butt of many campus jokes, I'm afraid. Good teacher, good guy.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Thanks Bob..I'm on the hunt right now for a nice vinyl copy of that Lp..with luck I'll be reading them soon
1a12

Post by 1a12 »

I had a date with Mike Brown's sister Mary. She gave me 2 recordings: The Stringsville LP by her father/violinist Harry Lookofsky, and one of those 120 min cassettes of "Stories" (Post Left Banke action) Always wished I would have had a chance to meet him. I was told he lived in Brooklyn and was pretty much a recluse. Love this band....especially "I've got something on my mind". 8)
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (2.11 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

For Christmas one year I received a book called Urban Spacemen And Wayfaring Strangers: Overlooked Innovators And Eccentric Visionaries of '60s Rock by Richie Unterberger. Chapter 5 "Two-Shot Wonders" contains an interview with Mike Brown. All in all it's a pretty interesting read. I'd recommend it.

JimK
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I always liked the band, and Walk Away Renee is one of the few songs I know the bass for.

I have the Let Banke anthology CD (IIRC, it's out of print) and it has good liner notes, IIRC. As I recall, the band resented the "Baroque Rock" label put on them.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

I cut a version of "She May Call You Up Tonight," it's on Kenny Howes' Second Album.
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

Who is the band in the video playing "Pretty Ballerina" and "Walk Away Renee"? They executed the songs well enough, but they aren't exactly the excitable types, are they? They appeared bored. Sorry, if I'm hurting anyone's feelings, but that's what I see.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

drumbob wrote:Who is the band in the video playing "Pretty Ballerina" and "Walk Away Renee"? They executed the songs well enough, but they aren't exactly the excitable types, are they? They appeared bored. Sorry, if I'm hurting anyone's feelings, but that's what I see.
The band's name is shown briefly at the start of the video:
RRF-video.jpg
The bass player plays some parts of Walk Away Renee with fills that aren't in the original, too.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
1a12

Post by 1a12 »

There is a group called the Sneetches from California that did a fabulous version of "She may call you up tonight" :D conversely, our own Southside Johnny made "walk away renee" walk a little further away :oops: But anyone who even goes for anything Left Banke I have a soft spot for. The medley posted is interesting, I cannot decide if I like it or not...there is a certain stiffness to the both versions...but then again, the Left Banke was no Otis Redding!

Return to “2 Car Garage: by Admin”