US V UK 18

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
JeffZ

Re: US V UK 18

Post by JeffZ »

The Graduate version is the same track as the 45 but speeded up a bit so it would fit into the movie's flow better (or at least that's how director Mike Nichols felt).
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

S+G on this one
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Just came across this from a facebook friend, I'll offer it for your consideration:
Story behind this song is great: Originally it was "Mrs. Roosevelt," when Mike Nichols hired them to do music for The Graduate, the song was half-finished (as you can tell on the
soundtrack album) and he had them record what they had and some instrumental interludes in a synching studio...then they went back and finished for Bookends.
All I wanna do is rock!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Sound of Silence is a fantastic composition that gains much of its attraction from the haunting harmonies. Much of the attraction for me stems from its simplcity of melody and its complexity of lyric.

Its strong melody will allow most artists to record it with success, however, the unique harmonies of Simon and Garfunkel in concert with the understated "less is more" production of the original is a brilliance that shows up in 1960s music only occasionally.

This is certainly a magic moment in recording history. The song by its nature forces us to listen and reflect. Its beauty, even in the dark through the smallest of transistor radio speakers was a golden sound to behold, providing comfort as it gently bathed our emotional brain.

From beginning to end this is a masterpiece that few compositions of the day can touch. From the opening silent moments when solitude is embraced we are instantly hooked. Embracing quiet moments and dwelling on the power of thought and restorative sleep processes. A song that spoke privately and provocatively in a manner that had its listeners searching for meaning.

Hello darkness, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains

Simon and Garfunkel are unequaled in their performance of this song because their emotional presentation has us holding onto each word as their story is written. The Bachelors, and all other performers for that matter, will have to take a backseat on this one.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Excellent analysis once again, perhaps the S 7 G version was not released in UK or did not receive airplay hence giving The Bachelors the hit in UK with the song.

This nearly a whitewash I received one vote for Bachelors though I suspect tonque in cheek

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”