Deluxe/Cove Tubeampology Treble Bezel Reviews

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Low End Lover

Deluxe/Cove Tubeampology Treble Bezel Reviews

Post by Low End Lover »

Hi all,

I know these have been discussed recently, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=397239 ,and everyone thinks they are great, but I think it would be helpful for folks who have them to give more in-depth reviews. I just got the cove model and now I want to A/B it against the deluxe (raised thumb rest). I wanted to hear from other folks who have the newer ones and their observations. Also, pics would be great! (Just another excuse to show off your bass!)

Here's my input. I talked to Frank and he suggested I go for the cove model. I just got it yesterday and slapped in on my recently acquired '08 4003FL. I had installed the standard version on my '10 4003 and it was easy, but forgot what order to put the stuff on. (It was late!) Thankfully, there was a picture at the Tubeampology site. I was worried that the cove wouldn't be deep enough, but now that I have it in person, I can say he made it as deep as he could have to give a lot of room. The fit and finish was every bit as good as the standard model I have and just looks stock to me on the 4003. I can also see how the cove would be great if you were a picker as it wouldn't get in the way and let you easily go back and forth. The cove gets you as close to the strings as you can get without floating your thumb. I like this because, as a guy who anchors, I can get close and be anchored. I would be curious to hear from folks who pick and have the version with the raised thumbrest.
Overall, I am a happy customer twice over. Now let's hear from some other folks on this...

LEL
Low End Lover

Re: Deluxe/Cove Tubeampology Treble Bezel Reviews

Post by Low End Lover »

No other reviews? :?
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Well it's pretty simple--install it (easy), see what you think. (Everyone I've read/heard from has been happy.) So maybe people just aren't that compelled to participate in a topic so many of us agree on! 8) I do appreciate the review of the "cove" though. Personally I don't need a cove or a thumbrest because my playing position is always changing.
Low End Lover

Post by Low End Lover »

Could be. Just curious about other experiences, especially with the raised thumbrest as I want to try that one out, too. You are right that is a pretty simple and nice install, so maybe what has been said hits the nail on the head. I also thought for those thinking about getting one that having real feedback on the different models may help them decide which is nice to know.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

For me the decision is easy--I don't need a place to stick my thumb. Others may prefer the raised version or the cove... cove makes more sense to me.
RicOshea

Post by RicOshea »

I purchased the origonal style bezel for my 4003 about six months ago.Great product, fills the void well being ' stealth' matt black. My playing style is anchored thumb, I really like the look of the cove model. Thumbs up for Frank in responding to his market.
'I got blisters on my fingers'
Low End Lover

Post by Low End Lover »

Hey Rickers,

All right, I have gotten to try BOTH the cove & the raised thumbrest. I already reported on the cove in a previous post, so I will let you know about the raised thumbrest option.
So I got the raised version and put it on my other Ric and I think it is every bit as comfy as the cove version. My one main concern was that the raised rest would get in the way if I picked, but I am happy to report that is NOT an issue. The rest is just high enough to rest your thumb comfortably, but low enough to stay out the way. Once again, Frank gets it right.
Also worth noting is that I decided to put a vintage ('76) HiGain in the bridge position on one of my basses and I realized the bezel isn't going to fit. I told Frank and he offered to exchange it for one cut to the proper size. I just want to go on record with that as I really appreciated that.
So, bottom line, you can't go wrong with any of the Tubeampology bezels and Frank is easy to work with. I hope these reviews will help folks out who are looking for something in the future.

Enjoy,

LEL
gbarchus

Post by gbarchus »

I spoke to Frank about his bezel as to whether or not it would fit my 4001v63. He said he thought the chrome surround was the same as the 4003 but the v63 pickup has larger dimensions. He said if it was the same, I could send him the dimensions of the pickup and he would make one to fit.

Can anyone confirm that the chrome surround on the bridge pickup is the same on the 4001v63 as the 4003? ...and, by chance, the dimensions of the 4001v63 bridge pickup?

Gale
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

gbarchus wrote:Can anyone confirm that the chrome surround on the bridge pickup is the same on the 4001v63 as the 4003?
A 4003 handrest fits perfectly inside a v63 surround, so yes.
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”