First Mix--"If You're Gone"--Byrds cover by Studio Z

Those who flock to The Byrds
vynesmusic

First Mix--"If You're Gone"--Byrds cover by Studio Z

Post by vynesmusic »

Here it is Jim-----did not convert well to MP3......here it is fer what it's worf :roll: :roll: :oops: :shock: :(

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9554263
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: First Mix--"If You're Gone"--Byrds cover by Studio Z

Post by jimk »

OK. Pretty good, actually. Get the technical difficulties ironed out, and you'll have it.
JimK
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

Thanks, Jim......seriously...the WAV file sounds a H*** of alot better, but I appreciate you listening to it..... :D

McGuinn and Crosby's AHHHHs in the background.......that was tough......I thought the notes of the 2 harmonies would be the problem, but I had listened to that song for so many years, the notes were EASY....it was having enough air in the lungs to sing all the way through..... :oops:
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

vynesmusic wrote:Thanks, Jim......seriously...the WAV file sounds a H*** of alot better, but I appreciate you listening to it..... :D

McGuinn and Crosby's AHHHHs in the background.......that was tough......I thought the notes of the 2 harmonies would be the problem, but I had listened to that song for so many years, the notes were EASY....it was having enough air in the lungs to sing all the way through..... :oops:
I don't know whether you ironed out your initial difficulties or not, but it sounded really good to me. I don't think that song is very easy to do, for exactly the reason you mentioned. All in all, a very impressive job. Keep 'em coming. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

Tom, thanks so much.....it means a lot coming from anyone in the RRF, and especially the Byrdophiles...... :D

actually, an update.....I'm listening here at work, and I just realized my home compooter control panel settings for sound need to be looked at A double SAP :roll:

Sounds better here.....need to remix and adjust dynamics between singing verses and the instrumental bridges.....must stop thinking :oops:
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Talking about holding out those long AH syllables; keep in mind that back in the day, they were all big cigarette smokers, too. I don't know how they managed without gasping for another breath.
JimK
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

jimk wrote:Talking about holding out those long AH syllables; keep in mind that back in the day, they were all big cigarette smokers, too. I don't know how they managed without gasping for another breath.
JimK
Hi, as both a very long time smoker and a recording nut, I would have created a 10 second loop of tape and just spliced it end to end and had a continuous play going on another deck. Then, I'd use faders to bring it in when needed. Painless, and it MIGHT have been what they actually did. They were doing Beatles type experimentation with tape at the time. Where there's a will, there's a dead relative. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Gee,

That was quite a beautiful electric 12-string tone you got on "If You're Gone." Any tone secrets to divulge?

Robert
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

Folkie wrote:Gee,

That was quite a beautiful electric 12-string tone you got on "If You're Gone." Any tone secrets to divulge?

Robert
Sorry for the delay in replying to your kind message :D

I went under the knife recently for the first time in 61 years.....lifting Fender amps for way too long..... :oops:

Thanks for the comment.....I have a '92 FireGlow 360-12, and I used a Milk Box compressor (DoD?) and lined it straight into the 'pooter onto Cakewalk Guitar Tracks. Later, in the mix, I used the Cakewalk EQ board and boosted the high freqs. I remember seeing McGuinn back in 1966 using a Vox Treble Booster plugged into a Dual Showman, and I never forgot that. No amp modeling used.....the Milk Box compressor is a good stomp box for the Rick 12.... 8)
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I just listened again to your recording, Gee. And yeah, that milkbox does quite nicely on the Rick. Nicely done.
JimK
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

beautiful job Gee. Amazing how "undiscovered" that song is. you captured the "haunting winds" chorus perfectly, and you almost captured Chris Hillman's distorting/raw Fender bass.

the 6/8 beat is a truly American variation of the "Waltz" (3/4 beat). You can count it like a 2/4 beat. (2 beats per bar like one-and-two-and-one-and-two).

and the 6/8 beat is rarely used anymore in songwriting or recording.
Rickenbacker 370-12 1966, Hofner 500/1 1966, Gibson ES-150 DCW 1970,
Vox Viscount 1967, Vox Series 90 1969. Yamaha PSR-9000 Midi Sequencer Arranger 2000
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

jimk wrote:Talking about holding out those long AH syllables; keep in mind that back in the day, they were all big cigarette smokers, too. I don't know how they managed without gasping for another breath.
JimK
I'm a smoker too, for the last 40 years, no effect on my singing or gasping for air, those are myths, propaganda, some people are pre-disposed to certain ailments or symptoms. I can hold my breath for 2 minutes under water. that's 120 seconds, plenty of time to rescue my Rickenbacker.

moreover, when you're on a stage, in front of people, all those symptoms dissappear when you realize you have to perform it right.
Rickenbacker 370-12 1966, Hofner 500/1 1966, Gibson ES-150 DCW 1970,
Vox Viscount 1967, Vox Series 90 1969. Yamaha PSR-9000 Midi Sequencer Arranger 2000

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”