Milwaukee! June 11-12 2011

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bassduke49

Milwaukee! June 11-12 2011

Post by bassduke49 »

Mark your calendars! More info soon!
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
melibreits

Re: Milwaukee! June 11-12 2011

Post by melibreits »

Cool! With family connections in that area and this much advance notice, getting there could be a real possibility for me! :D
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Excellent, Mel. It will be great to see you. Been too long!
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Wow! Count me in, too.
JimK
360girl

Post by 360girl »

Like I mentioned in my e-mail to you, I'll be there Paul! If you need any help, let me know.
byu
Intermediate Member

Post by byu »

I'm in too.
incubus2432

Post by incubus2432 »

Right around the time we are building our barn but I'd love a road trip up to that area. Hmmmmmm.......
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Well, if it will help any of you coming 'round the bottom of Lake Mich, we're going to meet on the far South part of town, Oak Creek, to be exact.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Shari & I will have to give this some serious consideration. 8)
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Hey Paul, where in Oak Creek is the confluence going to be? That's only a few minutes away from Marc's folks, who are in the Wind Point area of Racine.... we're going to be in that area visiting them for a few days over Christmas break.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Waterstone Bank between College and Rawson on S. 27t St. Oak Creek. Here's the message I sent to the Milwaukee/Chicago folks last week:

I've booked a venue, and unlike others you may have been to, it will not be in a hotel. I've got the Community Room in the basement of a bank. Why? Well, principally, it is free and the dates are open. Trouble with booking medium-size hotel meeting rooms is that they are frequently the sites of small wedding receptions and the hotels charge accordingly. When I did this at a hotel in April of 2006 (five years ago!), we had to pay a price for the room and book a certain number of overnights at the hotel. Well, most everyone came for just the Saturday and didn't stay overnight, so we had to pass the hat among the attendees, but we did break even. I don't want to worry about that this time.

The meeting room is where my model-building club has its monthly meetings, and the room is well-lit, pretty good size, roughly 30 x 60 feet with a kitchen on one end. There is an elevator (essential!), ample parking (also free), about two miles from Milwaukee's airport, one mile from half a dozen good hotels, and just across the street from several eateries.

The down side is that we will only be able to use it after noon on Saturday as that will be after banking hours. Sunday won't be a problem. We'll be able to set up the tables any way we like, and bring amplifiers and not disturb anyone but the cleanup crew. However, I don't want to attempt to set up a gig venue like some of the larger confluences do. But I'll bet there will be some impromptu jams nonetheless.
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Cool! I'm pretty sure I know where that is; we drive right by there on the way to Marc's folks from the hotel we usually stay at in South Milwaukee. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you Rickenfriends in June! :D
360girl

Post by 360girl »

bassduke49 wrote:Waterstone Bank between College and Rawson on S. 27t St. Oak Creek. Here's the message I sent to the Milwaukee/Chicago folks last week:

I've booked a venue, and unlike others you may have been to, it will not be in a hotel. I've got the Community Room in the basement of a bank. Why? Well, principally, it is free and the dates are open. Trouble with booking medium-size hotel meeting rooms is that they are frequently the sites of small wedding receptions and the hotels charge accordingly. When I did this at a hotel in April of 2006 (five years ago!), we had to pay a price for the room and book a certain number of overnights at the hotel. Well, most everyone came for just the Saturday and didn't stay overnight, so we had to pass the hat among the attendees, but we did break even. I don't want to worry about that this time.

The meeting room is where my model-building club has its monthly meetings, and the room is well-lit, pretty good size, roughly 30 x 60 feet with a kitchen on one end. There is an elevator (essential!), ample parking (also free), about two miles from Milwaukee's airport, one mile from half a dozen good hotels, and just across the street from several eateries.

The down side is that we will only be able to use it after noon on Saturday as that will be after banking hours. Sunday won't be a problem. We'll be able to set up the tables any way we like, and bring amplifiers and not disturb anyone but the cleanup crew. However, I don't want to attempt to set up a gig venue like some of the larger confluences do. But I'll bet there will be some impromptu jams nonetheless.
Yeah, that's easy to get to. I occasionally go that route on my way home from work (I live in Greenfield, and work in the Racine area), when I have to run errands, or don't feel like screwing around with traffic going through the Mitchell Interchange.

For those coming from the north - it's easiest to get off of I-94 at the College Ave. exit, and head west to 27th St., make a left turn at the 27th St. lights (the north/right side of College Ave. has a Walgreens on the corner), and head south on 27th till you get to the bank.

For those coming from the south - it's easier to get off at Rawson Ave, head west to 27th St., take a right turn, and head north on 27th St. to the confluence.
teeder

Post by teeder »

I'm not completely sure but I may have a "business" trip to Germantown WI that week to attend. :wink: :mrgreen:
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Germantown is just a few miles to the NW of Milwaukee, and Oak Creek where we will meet is South of "Brew Town." By big-city standards, Milwaukee is not really all that big, recently rated as the third quickest commute of major cities in the U.S. In non-rush-hour traffic, it would likely take 30-40 minutes from Germantown to Oak Creek; maybe add 15-20 during rush. This will be a Saturday and Sunday only event, so maybe you can extend your trip over the weekend. And we're close to the airport!

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”