Keef Writes A Book

Entertainment

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Keef Writes A Book

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/31/news/newsmakers/bc.richards.book.reut/index.htm?eref=rss_topstories

A Keith Richards autobiography.

There will be some great tales, if he can remember them!
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
rictified

Post by rictified »

OK we finally got the truth: Keith Richards says he didn't snort his dad.
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Re: Keef Writes A Book

Post by rickboy88 »

I just finished reading Keith Richards "Life." I really enjoyed it, and admit to reading it essentially non-stop, other than sleeping, eating, and the usual required stuff.

I recommend it to any musician, person interested in Blues and Rock & Roll history, guitar technique (mainly open tunings like a 5-string banjo), Rolling Stones fans, etc. The guy seems to have enough lives for 3 cats, and I lost count of the number of times he's been arrested.

I liked Richard's blunt honesty, even about himself and his unpredictable temper. You can tell that he doesn't care what anyone things about what he wrote. I thought that it might have been Keith himself who might have slugged Mick Jagger during Mick's "solo" years, but it was actually Charlie, and for what I thought was a good reason.

Not one mention of Rickenbacker of course, but he does talk about Rickenbacker players such as Brian Jones (not a good person) and John Lennon. He knew Lennon much better than Paul McCartney. He had his first long chats with McCartney on the beach a handful of years ago. Two Rock and Roll survivors.

And yes, Keith Richards was a Boy Scout believe it or not, which he also relates.

I've never been been a huge Stones fan, but I remember playing the Sticky Fingers LP after my Dad brought it home way back when. Richards reminds me of an ex-coworker from many years ago who very recently passed away (at just 57) so the book was strangely comforting, because in a way I was reading about a more famous "parallel universe" version of that coworker.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

That was a great review David. Thanks for posting it. Perhaps I'll take a peek at this book myself.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
77jordan

Post by 77jordan »

This is great. We can understand what he says!
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

My wife gave it to me for Christmas and I'm really looking forward to getting into it. I just need to find time amid all of the required reading for school.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I saw it in Barnes & Noble. I'm sure many of you know, I know Keef's Beatle-hating niece. There's a picture of Keef and Sir Paul, feel like buying it and saying, "There ya go, Sir Paul DOES like Keef. Now stomach "Hey Jude!"" :twisted: :D :P
peewee
Intermediate Member

Post by peewee »

Got it here; a gift from my lovely sister-in-law! This thing reads like a William Burroughs novel; I'm having flashbacks of reading Naked Lunch all over again! :shock:
Wherever you go, there you are
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Looks like it might be an interesting read. And I admit to not being the biggest Stones fan, too.
JimK
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

It is a very good read. Keef comes across as very intelligent, and genuine. Very interesting. A lot of love for the music.

Return to “On Stage”