Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Re: Model of the week 18: Chris Squire Limited Edition

Post by rickenbrother »

jps wrote:Did Donna throw you out of the house last February? :shock:
Nah, I think Tony held Jim hostage last February. :mrgreen:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Tony uses that bass to lure me back to Florida, this year, cold temps may be all that is needed!
teeder

Post by teeder »

Hey Jim, we could car-pool! :mrgreen:
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Great idea, Kevin. Bring one of those 21 fretters along.

Jeff Scott knows the only thing that could get me to drive to Cleveland in February... Besides a Yes concert, of course!
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Lefty4003S8 wrote: Oh, and YES Lefty4001.....there ARE 3 Left-Handed CS models out there. I have researched this and found 3....of course there could be more of them.............

Lefty4003s8
Is mine one of the 3?
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
Lefty4003S8
Intermediate Member

Post by Lefty4003S8 »

iamthebassman wrote:
Lefty4003S8 wrote: Oh, and YES Lefty4001.....there ARE 3 Left-Handed CS models out there. I have researched this and found 3....of course there could be more of them.............

Lefty4003s8
Is mine one of the 3?

Yes......yours IS one of the three I found.

Now my 4003s8 Left-Handed.....THAT one is the only Lefty Ric 8-string I have seen or heard of :D :D :D :D

Lefty4003s8

Do not drink from the toilet when taking Lyrica
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Hi Sean,Wints,Jim and everyone!
(Are those C64 tuners or just the bushes?

Anyway to the point....CS and V63 basses differ greatly in my experience.

I tried one of the first V63 basses in the 80s at the (then) Rickenbacker office in Bury Lancashire near Manchester.
It was fine except it had a 7 screw tail and the headstock wings didnt match (one light one dark) played well though and had a reasonably slim neck.
(In fact that bass is the one in the 80s fold out catalogue of the time.)
I had RM DA24 at the time so my aim was to get a new bass as close as poss to that to take out on gigs.
Afterwards I thought about the V63 and that maybe that one wasnt for me.
I passed on my thoughts on the bass to Mr Hall whilst also suggesting that now Rickenbacker had Roger McGuinn and Tom Petty signature guitars it might be time for a signature bass (and there was only one candidate in my mind...Chris Squire).
Mr.Hall replied to my letter thanking me for my comments about the V63 and that was that for a while.
In 1991 my late friend and fellow Rick fanatic Dave Carr told me about the impending 4001 Chris Squire bass and I managed to buy the first one which by chance was in England en route from the Frankfurt Music Fair and being photographed with none other than Chris himself.
(eventually the bass turned up on the Chris Squire "Big Generator coat" poster)
Soon after in early 1991 when I got my hands on H36407 (made in August 1990) it was a different bass entirely from the V63 I had tried.
Slimmer flatter profile neck,Paduak or vermillion fretboard and "wings" (very much like an RM),slimmer feeling body too.
The main departure when plugged in was the power of the pickups.
(incidentally the amp I first used my CS through when I collected it from A1Music Manchester was a Messa bass stack like Maccas)
I know my RiHS is not as per the RM and the horse shoe"magnets"are for show but it pumped out so much power that a friend who used an Alembic thought it was an active bass.
The different timbers from the V63 add to the tone difference also.
As for the changes in the production run of the CS well this is Rickenbacker we are talking about and the devil is always in the detail and its why I love em!

I have a second 1991CS which I re-finished white to emulate Wints DH163 which I used to own.
(In fact the CS is more like an RM to me than the V63 and it would make a great starting point for a replica should the hardware become available.)
The white CS has a different profile neck from the 1990 CS and is flatter at the sides and somewhat narrower.
It has a filthy thick tone which is less open than CS#1 and not being a pick up expert I couldnt say why.

I have a 1999 4001 V63 FG which is different again with a thick neck (dont be put off,its a great player and I think Maccas bass had a bit of a chunky neck) very raspy treble pick up,beautiful finish and shorter type headstock.

All in all if you want a CS the early ones are best having tried a few in Britain and one in BC Canada in the 90s.
They will show up here and there if you are prepared to wait.

My CS#1 is here on the register as is my V63
http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... lebrity%3D
And
http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... lebrity%3D
Attachments
1999 MG.jpg
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Some video of the white bass at home.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjGVfETaqGo
teeder

Post by teeder »

Sounds great! Do you have sound clips of your 1st CS?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Sean, the wings looked like vermilion, but the tobacco stains and darkening of the fretboard made it look more like bubinga in the photos, at least on my screen. I was just wondering. Thanks for clarifying.

And I'm glad your health is in order and you are participating here again! :D
xsubs

Post by xsubs »

johnallg wrote:I'm glad your health is in order and you are participating here again! :D
Thanks for the kind words John. Good to still be around period!
I've really been enjoying the time I've spent restoring this bass. It really is one of the "good ones".
Cheers
Rickenbacker '64 & '68 4001 basses ♦ Fender Pre-CBS J & P Basses and 1968 Telecaster Bass ♦ Moog Taurus III Bass Pedals ♦ Hiwatt (Hylight) Amplification
"A good bassist determines the direction of any band."- Ron Carter
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Seriously, Sean, have you any interest in reacquiring the White bass? I know it meant a lot to you.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

just_bassics wrote:Jeff Scott knows the only thing that could get me to drive to Cleveland in February... Besides a Yes concert, of course!
It worked, didn't it? 8)
Lefty4001

Post by Lefty4001 »

Lefty4003S8 wrote:
Oh, and YES Lefty4001.....there ARE 3 Left-Handed CS models out there. I have researched this and found 3....of course there could be more of them.............

Lefty4003s8
There are 6 CS in the Rickenbacker Register, five with a certificate number. I didn't find any lefty 8-stringers. I chose "bass" and "lefty" in the advanced search and then sorted those. Maybe I missed it?
'turn up the bass'
Lefty4003S8
Intermediate Member

Post by Lefty4003S8 »

Lefty4001 wrote:
Lefty4003S8 wrote:
Oh, and YES Lefty4001.....there ARE 3 Left-Handed CS models out there. I have researched this and found 3....of course there could be more of them.............

Lefty4003s8
There are 6 CS in the Rickenbacker Register, five with a certificate number. I didn't find any lefty 8-stringers. I chose "bass" and "lefty" in the advanced search and then sorted those. Maybe I missed it?
John,

When you say you missed it, were you referring to the Lefty CS or Lefty 8-string????
My 8 is not registered. And as for the three Lefty Chris Squire basses.......one is Iamthebassman's,
one I seem to remember seeing within the registry( NJ location ), and I can't remember where the third one was....sorry. I did the search a LONG time ago.
Sure WISH I had one!!!!!!!!!! I DO however have a nice '91 MG Lefty 4001v63 :D

Lefty4003s8

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”