4001 recording

A round-table feedback exchange
walker
Advanced Member

Re: 4001 recording

Post by walker »

DUH! I just pickup on your blatantly obvious "reversal" clue in the title of that jam. Thankfully for me, the first 4 notes you play telegraph 'Come Together' foremost in my mind, and I didn't end up making a retarded guess like 'Paranoid' by Black Sabbath.
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

Wow, you got it on the first try! I'm impressed! That's why I had the tone knob all the way down...
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

Another one: nova aldo

This is an extension of "Taurus 4001" which I posted before - we kept playing/improvising, and it transformed into something completely different! 1976 4001, played with a pick, both pickups, full on volume & tone, originally played through Alembic F-2B, later tweaked via Alembic SF-2 Superfilter. Also again featuring the mighty Moog Taurus 3 bass pedals and later overdubbed Rhodes electric piano.
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

very cool stuff!!!!
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Sounds like you guys had fun with this one. How do you usually work with your drummer? Didn't I read somewhere that he lives in an entirely different state and you guys do the file swapping via email?
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

Thanks guys - I really like this recording. I feel like it really represents a large part of who I am as a bassist and musician. Listening back I can detect many of my influences: Chris Squire, Lemmy, a recording by Pat Metheny called "Two Folk Songs: Two" with Charlie Haden, even U2's "40" and probably other stuff as well. But when we were improvising, I was just playing, Greg and I kept inspiring each other - there's some stuff, I don't even know how we both hit things at the same time...

Mark, you're right in that Greg lives in Boston MA & I live in Oakland CA, but we haven't really explored much file swapping - either when I go out there or he comes here we go into the studio and record together, then I take the files and overdub and mix later.
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

hieronymous wrote:Another one: nova aldo

This is an extension of "Taurus 4001" which I posted before - we kept playing/improvising, and it transformed into something completely different! 1976 4001, played with a pick, both pickups, full on volume & tone, originally played through Alembic F-2B, later tweaked via Alembic SF-2 Superfilter. Also again featuring the mighty Moog Taurus 3 bass pedals and later overdubbed Rhodes electric piano.

Man I love this. Going on my IpoD and will be in heavy rotation. great Job! Love your tone. Your friend is also a good drummer
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

bartyclue wrote:Man I love this. Going on my IpoD and will be in heavy rotation. great Job! Love your tone. Your friend is also a good drummer
Thanks - you made my day! :D
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

I've been using SoundCloud to post my music lately - I've put up Nova Aldo there if you want to give a listen:

nova aldo @ soundcloud
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

this is my first time hearing any of this-really cool stuff,Harry! i especially liked the latest one. (nova aldo)
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Hey, number 7! Great to hear this one again. You guys jam so well together. It's great how you are so on-point with each other when going through transitions.

So what's your take on Soundcloud? I posted a tune there awhile back, but I've haven't really made the effort to post a whole album's worth of material yet. I had just recently put up a bunch of my stuff on Bandcamp, a similar site that let's you set up your merch page and sell digital downloads & whatnot. Just wonder how you think SC compares to other music hosting sites.
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

Thanks Woody & Mark! When I listen to it I just can't believe some of the stuff that happened. It sounds almost like it was composed, but it was purely spontaneous. But Greg and I have known each other for almost 20 years and been recording and playing together as hieronymous for almost 10.

Re: SoundCloud - I kind of like it! I definitely like it better than MySpace. It is really easy to upload songs and add description, picture, etc. I like the graphic depiction of the track. The ability to comment within a song seems cool, though I've never used it or had someone comment on one of mine. I also like the ability to see how many times a track has been downloaded and what country those people are from.

The negatives: no matter what format you upload your song, it plays it back as a 128 kpbs mp3. Apparently if you upgrade to a paid account, then people can download your tracks at the original sample rate.

Mark, what do you think of Bandcamp? I've thought about looking into that but haven't got around to it. Maybe one of these days I will actually try and sell stuff instead of just giving it away...
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

I haven't flushed out Bandcamp to it's full potential yet, but from what I gather, it's not as network applicable as Myspace, Soundclick, Soundcloud and the like, but is moreso designed to be your own band website. Sound quality-wise, it's great. You can ONLY upload your stuff in either AIFF, WAV, or FLAC. It plays back in the original format you upload, AND it gives you the option of selling in about 8 different formats including the lossless ones and varying bit-rate degrees of MP3. You've also got free reign on how to design your page, too. It's my favorite so far. I hate how Myspace compresses the hell out of the music and makes it all sound terrible. And now they've "upgrade" their format to try to be like Facebook, which makes the look all the more confusing, yet still the same pain-in-the-a$$ to navigate through. On the FB related tip, I'm in the process of setting up a Reverb Nation account. It's another great platform to sell & promote your music and shows, and gets great exposure as you can invite your FB "friends" to link to it and receive your updates. Bandcamp has just recently added a feature for promoting your live shows, too.
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

FINALLY changed the strings on my bass - they were incredibly dirty - last trip into the studio there was no air conditioning, so the bass and strings were duly sweat upon. I was so excited to have new strings on, I recorded a couple of sketches - here is one of them:

a free one

Took some shots of the bass with all the strings removed - normally I change strings one at a time, but I wanted to clean the fretboard a little bit:

walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Cool jam - sweet resolve with the 7-4-1. Great sounding '76. What strings did you put on?

Funny - I just got into changing strings one at a time for my 60's basses which have necks that are more pliable than my 70's 4001s.

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”