Deluxe bezel with an integrated THUMB REST

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Low End Lover

Re: Deluxe bezel with an integrated THUMB REST

Post by Low End Lover »

SMR 78 wrote:I've decided to get one of these bezels for the new 4003 JetGlo. Which one is what I'm deciding. Why would one choose the cove model over the deluxe with the thumbrest? Does the cove model allow your fingers to get closer to the strings and for smaller hands perhaps closer to the G string? Also, does the standard model still allow you to anchor your thumb somewhere, such as on the pickup surround?

Even after having read both threads on this subject, I'm trying to get a sense of what the exact application is for each model based on user preference and finger-plucking style. I emailed Frank who responded quickly and was very helpful but I wanted to also elicit opinions here as well based on user experience with the three different models.

Thanks!
I have had all 3 and while I like them all, I really dig the deluxe (raised thumbrest) bezel the most. The thumbrest seems to be just level with the the strings and makes it so easy to play over the bridge pickup and maximize reach. The cove is nice and deep and really good if you want to feel your thumb locked in place. I have small hands and didn't notice that it (cove) helped me get closer to the G string. IME, the deluxe allows for the greatest reach for smaller hands. The standard looks the best IMO and good if you float your thumb. And the standard does allow you to anchor on the pickup surround if that is what you want.

Hope that helps,

LEL (Jason)
sunsetjunk

Post by sunsetjunk »

I prefer the standard because of it's clean looks. The Cove would be my second choice.
I like to float my thumb anchoring positions so I can get different tones depending on what the song needs. I also use the strings themselves to anchor my thumb. If I'm playing the A string I'll anchor on the E string, if I'm playing the D string I'll anchor on the A string, if I'm playing the G string I'll anchor the D string. Bassically whatever string I'm playing I'm anchored on the unplayed string just above it.This helps keep the unplayed strings muted. Unless I want to have some strings ring out, then I wouldn't anchor on those. If I'm playing faster scales or arpeggios the anchoring position can change pretty quickly but I've been playing like this for over 30 years so it's seamless to me, I don't even give it a thought.
Oh yeah, I just picked up a 2002 Midnight Blue 4003 in unplayed condition. It's a keeper, zero issues, just perfect as can be.
Hope this helps.
SMR 78

Post by SMR 78 »

Very helpful responses - thanks. I like the idea of being able to float the thumb with the standard, and based on the pictures I agree it looks the best so that's what I'll go with.

Frank, congrats on the new addition to the family.

8)
1978 4001 FG
2009 C64 MG
2010 4003 JG
jc-sz

Post by jc-sz »

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I last posted.
Last night I was playing at home and I decided to get rid of the pup cover, also I was thinking of adding a thumb rest since I never really got used to the point of being comfortable with resting my thumb on the pickguard, not deep enough. So today I found these tubeampology bezels and they look great and a 2 in one solution. I'm not sure if I want the one with the cove or the one with the raised thumbrest. I learnt to play and think I feel most comfortable when using my JB anchoring my finger on the neck pickup. So based on this, what do you think I would feel more comfortable with or would be more similar to my playing style with the Jazz?

Thanks a lot to everyone in advanced and especially to Frank for bringing such a great idea into reality!

Cheers!
'03 4003 FG VP
superdick2112

Post by superdick2112 »

Joaquin, I just bought the standard bezel (no cove or thumb rest), and while I've yet to install it, the workmanship appears to be top-notch. From the sound of it, the thumb rest bezel should suit your style nicely.
Low End Lover

Post by Low End Lover »

superdick2112 wrote:Joaquin, I just bought the standard bezel (no cove or thumb rest), and while I've yet to install it, the workmanship appears to be top-notch. From the sound of it, the thumb rest bezel should suit your style nicely.
+1. I have it and it has enough beef to keep your thumb anchored and it still has a low profile design that will let you whip out the pick and lay down some punk rock riffs without gettting hung up on it.
jc-sz

Post by jc-sz »

Thanks Richard and Jason for your input! I think I'll take the deluxe model. I guess I'll be buying it in a couple of days. I have yet to buy strings since I'm going to do everything at the same time, and also try to bring that toaster up a little bit.

Cheers!!
'03 4003 FG VP
coolingitdown
Intermediate Member

Post by coolingitdown »

I have the integrated thumb rest model on my 4003, and I love it! The thumb rest is so well thought out that I have mistaken it for my E string on a couple of occasions! :oops: I never liked floating my thumb, so the thumb rest proved the ideal solution for me.

Regarding picking, the thumb rest has never gotten in the way. I must mention that my preference is to pick between the bridge pickup and the bridge.
2010 4003 FG
1997 4003FL Turquoise
Set neck 4001S (color TBD)
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

The thumb rest is exactly where a low B string would be, same height as the E string and spaced like a low B. This is why it feels so natural if you are used to anchoring on the lowest string.
Attachments
2011-02-01 15.42.48.jpg
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
jc-sz

Post by jc-sz »

ilan wrote:The thumb rest is exactly where a low B string would be, same height as the E string and spaced like a low B. This is why it feels so natural if you are used to anchoring on the lowest string.
So you think that if I'm used to anchoring on the pickup the one with the cove would be a better fit? Is it deep enough to get your thumb really anchored?

Thanks Ilan!

PS: I always thought MapleGlo and Artic Glo + black trim are the best combinations, and it looks like you've got both!
'03 4003 FG VP
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

cheyenne wrote:Will one of these fit in a V63 with the shoes removed?
There's a V63/C64 model available now at the Tubampology website. Pretty sweet!

These bezels are a really cool idea.
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

jc-sz wrote:So you think that if I'm used to anchoring on the pickup the one with the cove would be a better fit? Is it deep enough to get your thumb really anchored?
Possibly, but I have never tried the cove model. Just the standard and the thumb rest (Deluxe).
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
Low End Lover

Post by Low End Lover »

jc-sz wrote:
ilan wrote:The thumb rest is exactly where a low B string would be, same height as the E string and spaced like a low B. This is why it feels so natural if you are used to anchoring on the lowest string.
So you think that if I'm used to anchoring on the pickup the one with the cove would be a better fit? Is it deep enough to get your thumb really anchored?

Thanks Ilan!

PS: I always thought MapleGlo and Artic Glo + black trim are the best combinations, and it looks like you've got both!
I had a cove bezel and I felt like it was well-designed and was deep enough, but the thumb rest version is just so natural feeling that you just can't go wrong with it. If in doubt, get both!

LEL (Jason)
jc-sz

Post by jc-sz »

Thanks both Ilan and Jason. I guess I'll go with the Deluxe. I gotta sort a couple of things out and then I'll buy new strings and the bezel when I get time to do it.

Thanks again!!

Cheers
'03 4003 FG VP
gbarchus

Post by gbarchus »

Here's my v63 with bezel:

Gale

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”