"The Bells of Rhymney"-Gene Clark Lead Vocal

Those who flock to The Byrds
mcd220

"The Bells of Rhymney"-Gene Clark Lead Vocal

Post by mcd220 »

This is vocal take #2.

Get it here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6p1gz3

Featuring the crash and burn at the end of the song that Chuck over at Byrdmaniax was talking about. :)

Enough to make ANY Byrds tribute band feel much better! :shock:

Note Crosby experimenting with a 3rd at 3:03; not really condusive to that early Byrds modal sound.

One thing about Roger & Gene falling in the toilet at the end, one can really hear and appreciate the true, natural beauty of David's voice at the end of the song, hitting that high A above middle C.

It was around take 4 or 5 when Roger took over the lead vocal, with Gene back doubling of course. Here, we have Gene as dominant lead vocalist.

Best, Christian

"The Byrds Video Depot"
http://www.youtube.com/mcd220
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: "The Bells of Rhymney"-Gene Clark Lead Vocal

Post by jimk »

Interesting to hear the development. Thanks for posting the link, Christian. There's a place in the song, the line is "....the black bells of Rhondda" where I feel like Croz chickened out and went for the unison instead of going for the fifth. It's in the last verse. Rather bugs me every time I hear the song.
JimK
mcd220

Post by mcd220 »

Cool that you pointed that out, Jim! Actually, this is how it is on the finished recording too.

Crosby goes unison with Roger & Gene on "Rhon...DA", Bly..NAH", etc on the actual finished product.

Curious that he didn't sing a harmony for that one note in those sections.

Best, Christian
mcd220

Post by mcd220 »

Slight correction....what I meant to say, is that everytime a line is sung where it begins with the C chord and resolves on an A, that's where Crosby sings unison on the last syllable of the line.

Everytime the line is walked down from the G chord after the guitar solo (G, G/F#, E, D), David is in harmony all the way through the line.

Chris

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”