royclough
RRF Consultant

Rock This Land

Post by royclough »

Here's another vid I have done of a gtrack some may not have heard

chriscurtisfan

Re: Rock This Land

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Fabulous, Roy!! I can tell you straight up, I prefer this version to Billy Ray Cyrus. Is that Frank singing at 1:03? I'll have to send this to my YT Searchers Fanatics/Friends! Thanks for sharing it with us! :)
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Yes Cheri Frank Allen does take lad for a while but mostly John McNally, John's voice not the greatest even he would admit that, but suits these numbers
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Don't like the song much, but think the singing (and playing) is fine! Maybe this is the best formula for the present Searchers- Spencer as harmony man! I think there's punch in John's voice here. And a big surprise for Frank's entry: Very McCartneyesque!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

One assumes Einar you are not a fan of SJ's voice then. Hard to replace Pender's voice in my view, he's not the best voice out there but it just had that something.
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Agreed absolutely, Roy, concerning Mike's voice. I think, though, he's lost quite a lot of that "something" over the later (post- Searchers) years.
I'm impressed by the expression in John's performance on this given track, honestly I find a little Pender in it! A rise to the occation!?
(And, as mentioned, also a little different "angle" with Frank here, not heard often or before).
rob_mac

Post by rob_mac »

I always thought it was Eddie Roth singing the main vocals on this one. I certainly seem to remember him singing it in concert a few years ago. (unless im going mad :D )

Rob
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

einar wrote:Agreed absolutely, Roy, concerning Mike's voice. I think, though, he's lost quite a lot of that "something" over the later (post- Searchers) years.
I'm impressed by the expression in John's performance on this given track, honestly I find a little Pender in it! A rise to the occation!?
(And, as mentioned, also a little different "angle" with Frank here, not heard often or before).
You know what Einar, I agree with you. There is some Mike in John's vocals. I hadn't really thought about it before this.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Well if you're right Rob I'm going mad, this was another track that was on a CD I sent John and John is definately doing lead vocal
rob_mac

Post by rob_mac »

def me going mad, Roy. As usual i bow to your superior knowledge!!

Rob
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

royclough wrote:John's voice not the greatest even he would admit that
Well, if he would admit that, who am i to disagree? But i do disagree anyway. He may not be the best singer (technically), but he's got something about his voice indeed. A sort of "masculinity", or simply living energy. Unfortunately, judging by the track posted, he sounds sort of tired these days, there's some sort of "mechanicity" (is that an English word?), woodiness about his performance. As if he was like, "i don't really feel like doing that, but if you will, i'll do that for you".
Um, i guess i've said more than enough. Nice song anyway.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

Last time I saw them (2004) John did a nice version of "7 Days To Rock" which they used to end the show. I would like to see him take a few more leads myself.

I guess all of us here miss Mike's voice in the group... :(

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”