Peter Bucks Sound

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

electrofaro

Re: Peter Bucks Sound

Post by electrofaro »

sloop_john_b wrote:possibly with the bass cut cap wired in
To me it's simply where he plays the strings, not a bass cut cap...

If PLB does a signature edition he must have lost his wits. Seems to me it would be so against what he believes in.

Mmm... where did I see the red plectrum last... oh, wait, I use one of Peter's picks myself :lol:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
87ric360

Post by 87ric360 »

Wildberry wrote:Mmm... where did I see the red plectrum last... oh, wait, I use one of Peter's picks myself :lol:
Cool :D what brand/thickness is it?
I play an '87 Rickenbacker 360 in a UK based R.E.M. Tribute Band and design flight cases. | Flightcases.com
87ric360

Post by 87ric360 »

I found that pic from the AOL Sessions :D Ibanez UE400 Foot Controller, Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah, Proco Rat 2, Custom Overdrive/booster pedal and a Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe.

I play an '87 Rickenbacker 360 in a UK based R.E.M. Tribute Band and design flight cases. | Flightcases.com
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

87ric360 wrote:
Wildberry wrote:Mmm... where did I see the red plectrum last... oh, wait, I use one of Peter's picks myself :lol:
They're red Dunlop nylon .73 mm - I know he's used yellow ones as well, as a friend got some in the 80s. What thickness these yellows are I don't know. I don't even know if Peter uses the .73 mm all the time, or just on acoustic, or whatever. I only use them when people say: oh, want to be like Peter Buck, eh? :lol:

Funny thing is I already arrived at .73s myself without knowing he used them - they're not too thick, not too thin. 8)
87ric360

Post by 87ric360 »

Wildberry wrote:
87ric360 wrote:
They're red Dunlop nylon .73 mm - I know he's used yellow ones as well, as a friend got some in the 80s. What thickness these yellows are I don't know. I don't even know if Peter uses the .73 mm all the time, or just on acoustic, or whatever. I only use them when people say: oh, want to be like Peter Buck, eh? :lol:

Funny thing is I already arrived at .73s myself without knowing he used them - they're not too thick, not too thin. 8)
Awesome :) thanks for the info. Do you use heavy gauge strings like PB too? I really want to string my 360 with the same gauges as PB but unsure whether to just do it or to build up gradually :)
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

I'm currently at Thomastik Infeld .011 flats. For .012s the string spaces on the nut would have to be enlarged. Not sure I want that, the 11s play quite okay.
indianation65

Post by indianation65 »

The only time I really cared about Buck's sound was after the IRS to Warner Brothers change, because the Rickenbacker/Tone Tubby sound changed to Les Paul's and Mesas; or close to that. What was/is more important is his writing, the riffs and chord progressions. Those are what really make the Buck sound. From an opening number like "Radio Free Europe" to, let's say, "Feelings Gravity's Pull," or "Oddfellows Local 151" were also Buck style changes. I loved them all, regardless whether he used overdrive, clean, a Fender, a Tone Tubby, whatever! When one records, it's all about feel anyway, that's why this guitar is used with that amp, that pedal, that combination, this microphone in that corner, facing this wall, raise the amp, mic close, far away, sing at night, during the day, lower the drum volume, raise it, chime the snare, solid body, semi-hollow, harmonize, one vocal only, etc. The first few years of Buck fame were not much different then his record store gig, sleeping on a friend's floor even after "Reckoning" came out! A original guitar player is just a guitar player, famous or not, recording with all the same notions, hoping for a break, rarely thinking that other cats will be dissecting their work decades later. He got lucky because REM met America with perfect timing!

...wisdom
Indian Folklore and Wisdom—Love, Learn, Listen
kingblud

Post by kingblud »

Wildberry wrote:
87ric360 wrote:

These ones? I use these .73's, Dunlop nylon. They are grey, not red though. Just curious because I have also been chasing that Buck sound.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=110020
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

kingblud wrote:These ones? I use these .73's, Dunlop nylon. They are grey, not red though. Just curious because I have also been chasing that Buck sound.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=110020
Yes, those... don't ask me where he got them in red but probably straight from Dunlop - the yellows are the same Dunlop nylons, but also just not in grey. Over here they only sell the grey ones as well.
87ric360

Post by 87ric360 »

Here's a recent photo from his collaboration with Saint John and The Revelations
Looks like a Boss TU-2 or TU-3, Boss SD-1 Overdrive and a couple of Proco Rat 2s :)

...and a Rickenbacker 360 of course :D
87ric360

Post by 87ric360 »

Here's some screenshots from Road Movie. I can identify the UE400 controller the RAT2 but does anyone know what the other stompbox is and the type of wah? :)

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”