Firebird pickup in a Ric

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

parker_knoll

Firebird pickup in a Ric

Post by parker_knoll »

i read some suggestion on here that Mike Campbell had put a Firebird pickup in a toaster cover on his Ric. I couldn't find any information to substantiate it but it piqued my interest, so i decided to take the plunge and order a Seymour Duncan SM-1N Firebird neck pickup.

I ordered and HB-1 at the same which arrived first so i installed it (I mentioned it in a post on here).

I just got round to taking the cover off the Seymour Duncan and i can confirm that it does fit in a Ric cover.

The Seymour is made in America and very nicely made too. it's all around a sweet little thing, weighty, compact.

I took some pictures. Apologies that i only had my phone to hand. It's to little coils with a long bar magnet and a wooden spacer, in fact basically the same spec as the originals, so they claim.

I'll need to order a new baseplate before i can get it installed and let you know if it sounds okay.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: Firebird pickup in a Ric

Post by JakeK »

parker_knoll wrote:i read some suggestion on here that Mike Campbell had put a Firebird pickup in a toaster cover on his Ric.
This is new to me. He DID have a Firebird-type pickup in the 6-string part of his custom Danny Ferrington doubleneck when he first got it, but in about 1993, his guitar tech Steve "Chinner" Winstead changed all three (two for 12-string, one for six-string) pickups to Seymour-Duncan mini-humbuckers, and of the closeups I've seen of the guitar, not a single pickup has a Ric cover.

Now, he has a Ric HB-1 in his custom 350 that's been a workhorse for him since 1989, but the close-ups I've seen of that guitar show it as a HB-1.
parker_knoll

Post by parker_knoll »

IT seemed far fetched, but it did open up the possibility so I'm giving it a try.
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

One thing about those pickups is for sure though that they sound really good. I like the Firebird HB's better than most other HB's simply because they have a thinner sound that's closer to a single coil, IMO.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

...making it sound closer to a P-90 rather than a regular humbucker?
parker_knoll

Post by parker_knoll »

i can confirm that it sounds really good. I just whacked it in, it wasn't hard at all, but i needed to use a toaster baseplate to do it.

I'll need to shave that wooden spacer down a bit but it sounds great, really. Kind of how i was hoping the HB-1 would sound without the muddy bass. I love my Hi-Gain in the bridge, but i was after a workable neck sound for a long time. A toaster didn't quite do it for me (hard to do jazz on a toaster, for exmaple), but this is great.

Thinner than a P90, clear, full spectrum, sounds a bit like a floating jazz pickup or something.
parker_knoll

Post by parker_knoll »

just to finish this off, here's a look at the Firebird pickup in place, in an old Hi Gain mount.
(Apologies for phone camera pics)

First uncovered.

And with my homemade cover. looks okay :)

Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

Looks good. Bet it sounds good, too. Love those little mini humbuckers. What material did you use to make the cover?
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
parker_knoll

Post by parker_knoll »

lets just say our world is filled with plastic and if you look about you you can find the right bit quite easily
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

Toby, Out of curiosity did you try putting the pickup in the RIC bezel with its chrome cover still intact? I only ask because we have seen pics of pickups with the chrome SD logo installed in RIC bezels in the past. There was no way to be certain what SD pickup it was.
"The best things in life aren't things."
parker_knoll

Post by parker_knoll »

yes, it's too big. you could, however, cut the top off the original pickup cover and use that as a cover inside the HiGain case.

I'd be interested to see a picture of what you're talking about.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

A quick search lead me to these pics:
Picture%2014.png
IMG_0055.jpg
parker_knoll

Post by parker_knoll »

Cool.

yeah, you could do that by cutting up the original cover. I'm thinking about it, we'll see if i get round to it. I think i would prefer it plain rather than with the 'S' on it.

What band is that?
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

parker_knoll wrote: What band is that?
I don't know. I used the search function and found those photos in another thread.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

I'm still holding out for a real, RIC manufactured "Toasterbucker."

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”