59 4000

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

Two owers ago it sold for $1200. I was about 30 minutes late in making the phone call to nail it down.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

This was my bass. It was before I discovered the forum. I knew when I bought it that it had some issues but it was so fun to have. I bought a near mint 1958 P-Bass & needed to let it go since I already had a 1968 4001, 1966 4005, and a 3001. As rare as it is I had to let it go. It went to a guy in Mexico for $3600 --someone on this string guessed it.Not sure if I would ever get another one from this era as it was a bit clunky & chunky. I've also tried pre-1966 4001's and they have the same feel.You'd want this for collectible/historical value, or just to make your friends jealous.It was already refinished and I tried to have it refinished in a mapleglo-style color that looked a lot like Michael Anthony's (Van Halen) from 1958, I think. Also replaced certain parts as close to original as could be done. Had some help with this. Beleive I have all the pix from this on file and would be glad to send to any interested parties. It was fun while it lasted.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

Mike: How long did you have it?
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Not long. About 3 monthhs or so. I probably got it one bump after the guy you had hoped to purchase it from. I paid more than $1200.
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

The seller at the time was a small time operator in California - I forget his name.... Anyway, he posted it on GBase and I called right away the day it surfaced but I was unfortunately about a half hour late (or so he says). It sold for only $1200. I wonder what he paid for it?!
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

No. Wrong. He gave you the wrong number. I don't know why. I traded him a 60's Fender Coronado bass and cash to total $2800 for the deal. Funny, he didn't take but a second to accept the offer. The dealer is Jay Rosen in Northern California, a very nice guy. I see him at all the big guitar shows in Arlington, TX. He comes fully stocked with all kinds of pretty nice vintage basses & guitars. I always say 'hi' and check out all his stuff.

Ted - are you interested in this bass? If so, I could email the current owner and ask. This guy has a warehouse of nice vintage basses (and I thought I had a pretty nice collection going). The last time I emailed him he was looking to let some go, whick ones I don't know. I'm driving to L.A. right now but could get back to you later.
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

Yes, Jay Rosen is correct and he is a nice guy. He had it listed on Gbase for $1200. He neglected to tell me that it sold for more. :-)
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

Sorry to back up on all of you, but I read back to the begining of this thread again and Steve stated that "I guess intonation wasn't a big issue in the 50's". If you look close this uses the same bridge that the 4005 does , it just has a different tail piece. This is a 4 string (bridge) version of what most guitars have. The earlier ones actually had a 6 string tail piece.
"The best things in life aren't things."
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

I checked my saved email from the time and I had sent Jay an email about the bass. The price was $2400. My faulty memory again..... Even at $2400 it seemed cheap compared with the '63 I bought a few months before.

Yes, that is true. The older 4000's did have guitar tailpieces with six string holes. The current hardware on this bass is likely not original. I believe that was the rap on it when I was pursing it late last year.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

I have a scanned picture of one from a vintage guitar magazine or calander that a friend gave me a few weeks ago. Any way, this pic shows one with the six string tailpiece and a walnut neck through. It was dated a 57", ser.#B7102. It has a one piece headstock without "wings". This is the bass owned by Mike Anthony.
"The best things in life aren't things."
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I wonder if 1957 4000's know how to swim...
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Ted - I think you and I bought our 4001's (mine is a 1968) from Gary Dick. One of these days I'll tell you, or sheepishly admit, what I paid for mine.

Ken - At this time in the late 50's Rickenbacker wasn't sure if the basses they produced were going to make it, so they used lots of guitar parts, especially bridges, from that era. The Michael Anthony bass is in the Tony Bacon book "The Bass Book." It is how I got some of my ideas how to restore the '59 4000. If any of you guys don't have it, drop everything you're doing and buy it immediately. It is the best bass guitar pictorial that I have seen! Look for the Wal bass from John Entwistle. I now own that one.
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Scans from the Tony Bacon Book:

Ken,
My eyes tell me the headstock is not one-piece but with wings.

Also, in 1957, the 4000 neck was mahogany. Walnut replaced mahogany in '58. So, it's very possible the Michael Anthony 4000 neck is mahogany, IMHO.

Make-shift guitar tailpiece

seth_lorinczi

Post by seth_lorinczi »

What an instrument. Looking at the tail end, I'm reminded of my '56 Combo 400, which is a pretty groovy little guitar itself. The "wings" are actually bolted to the body, rather than glued.
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

Mike: If you bought it from Gary Dick you did not get it cheap. That is for sure! I have not told many people what the '63 cost. I am a bit embarrased about it actually. Well, I have never seen another so I figured it to be a once-in-a-lifetime thing. As far as my wife is concerned, it is! I could have bought 6 or 7 new 4004CII's instead.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”