Flight Case for Rickenbacker 360

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I flew out of Long Beach CA aboard US Airways on Sunday, 7 August, with about a 1 hour layover in Phoenix. Due to circumstances beyond Long Beach Airport's control, my flight was something like 45 minutes late.

I finally got aboard my flight, and was literally the last passenger aboard my flight to Kansas City from Phoenix. You all know what this means, don't you? Yes, they didn't load my Rick aboard. So.....that meant I had to report a lost item once I got to Kansas City. But the story does have a happy ending. I was reunited with my prized 360/12 string on Monday afternoon at a little past 4:00 PM CDT.

Now for the other bit. If you want to know more about the flight case, send me a PM. It's the forum rule banning advertising. :mrgreen:

JimK
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Wow --- sorry to hear you had a scare with your Ric as checked baggage and a missed flight :( :shock: ---- but lucky for you that the high security Fort Knox travel case protected your precious 360-12 in the hands of all those baggage personnel and the attrocities they commit.

All's well that ends well.... but a little close for comfort ! :roll:
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Flight Case for Rickenbacker 360

Post by jps »

Glad to hear you were reunited! Marc Seligman has a similar story to tell regarding the first "major" confluence, in Columbus, Ohio in '05.
collin

Post by collin »

jimk wrote:
Now for the other bit. If you want to know more about the flight case, send me a PM. It's the forum rule banning advertising. :mrgreen:

JimK
Quite the contrary, Jim --- it's not advertising if it's not your business etc, it's just spreading the gospel ----do tell us! :)

Glad you and your Ric were reunited safely, money spent on a proper case is money well spent!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Jim,

It's more than OK to talk about someone's product. Unless I am missing something here? In any event I am glad you got home safely and eventually your guitar did too. I think I might have had a heart attack if my favourite guitar did not make the same flight I was on. :?
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Oh well.......in that case..... Robert Morris saved my Rickenbacker from the gorillas of the airline industry. The Morris and Holmberg flight case is the best money you'll spend to protect your Rick. They're located in Santa Ana, CA. That case made it from Kansas City (MCI) to Portland (PDX), a trip to the Bay area on the Amtrak Coast Starlight; from there on a Jet Blue flight out of Oakland to Long Beach (LBG), and eventually back to me in Lawrence. Quite an odyssey with never a scratch. A big thanks go to Collin Whitley for suggesting this manufacturer.
JimK
collin

Post by collin »

Wow, thanks Jim! That is a lot of miles, glad to see the guitar arrive safely (and given the airlines history of "losing" things), glad you got it back at all! :)
romo1950

Post by romo1950 »

I am pleased our case did it's job for you Jim and your Ric 360/12 arrived home as mint as it left, it was a real pleasure to do business with you, and thanks for the shout out.
surfinmars

Post by surfinmars »

I know I'm way behind in the thread, but how much do those cases coat and weigh? Pics?
surfinmars

Post by surfinmars »

Oops, I meant cost and weight
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Without going back through my receipts and looking up the exact figure, I believe the cost of the case was in the $400.00 range. It has a pretty substantial weight.....maybe 25 lbs. or so. I think it was worth it if only for the peace of mind.
First pic
Second pic
Third pic
JimK
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Very cool, as filght cases go -- stylish, sturdy, not too big -- and with that great blue crushed velour case lining.

Couldn't ask for anything more in a flight case for your RIC!
Memphis Blue

Post by Memphis Blue »

I'll have to check into this as well...it looks like my 60's British Invasion band is going to Liverpool for the Mathew Street Festival in August and I'm scared to death about shipping my left handed 330 Jetglo....but 400 dollars is like a million to me!
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Well Jeff, look at it this way; which would you rather do, spend $400.00 on a flight case, or five times that much or maybe more on a replacement LH Rickenbacker? And consider that you might be able to list the purchase of the flight case as a tax deduction.
JimK
Memphis Blue

Post by Memphis Blue »

You're right Jim...it's my main war horse in this band and would be VERY hard to replace...although my secondary guitar is a lefty Brian Jones Phantom (a REALLY nice guitar by the way) and I may consider taking it instead as it IS replaceable.
I've got until August to get the money...I wonder what build time is on these cases?
Thanks pal
J
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”