Therapy for expectant owners

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Re: Therapy for expectant owners

Post by paul_yan »

Lovely! Congrats, Kira! Now go shake the walls and give the neighborhood some good vibrations with her! :D
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Congratulations Kira!

I've been wanting to try one of those for a while!

Glad it's not a SKINNY STRINGED thing, too many of those around here anyway! :wink:

Enjoy it and should you decide to part with it in the future.........CALL JEFF! :wink: :lol:

That would look SO COOL in a Paul W. WAL or ATG refin! :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol:
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Congrats Kira very cool! 8)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

ajish4 wrote:Enjoy it and should you decide to part with it in the future.........CALL JEFF! :wink: :lol:
Thomas? Yeah, it would go great with his 2030GF. :wink:
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

Nice one, Kira! Glad you are back in the Rickenbass fold.
If it is to be, it is up to me.
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

kiramdear wrote:David, thank you so much for the welcome and the info. Our basses would seem to be identical. 8) I do believe my pickups are single coil, and the hum canceling makes sense. After a good hour shakedown I can say I really like the neck. It's narrow enough and not too thick, but still very solid. It reminds me a bit of my old Gibson Ripper, with its fast neck and heavy slab body. I plan to put some flatwound strings on it. It has a very slight neck dive, nothing too annoying. I haven't been able to crank it up yet, maybe tomorrow I can report about tone. I'll also post a detail picture of that unique jack and the card inside. What year is your 2030?
Mine dates from September 1989 according to the file name that I gave that image. I should have it in the register. I do notice that the fireglo is a bit different between our basses, but close enough right? I don't remember any dead spots on the neck, which is also a nice thing. I have flats on mine too. In fact, I have flats on all of my basses.

It seems like I'd read on this forum or the corporate forum that John Hall was involved with the electronics of the bass.

BTW, was there a picture of you (and your spouse?) and short article in a recent Bass Player issue? She was playing a Ric bass and the name rings a bell. I'm a bit hit and miss on this forum, and sometimes don't check for a bit, so it may have already been discussed if it was you.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
8mileshigher

Therapy for expectant owners

Post by 8mileshigher »

Congrats Kira -- glad you got back in the RickBass club again !! :D
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

David, that's another Kira, not me. Funny as I get asked that a lot. As I recall, she's really good, so no offense taken. :lol:

As you said, there aren't any dead spots on the neck. I'm also tempted to say that it has built-in compression, because the sound is very even and strong,deep, and clear. This is a very different animal than the 4001/3, but nonetheless sounds like a rick. Funny, and I would guess that John Hall is responsible for the design. His paperclip test confirms the single coil pickups. For the benefit of some who haven't seen one of these up close, I'll post pictures of the backside:

It looks like it would be a simple matter to configure the middle position any way one would have it.

And this one shows the neck's plate with the serial number, and the grommets and hex pickup height screws:

As for similarity of finish, I'd want to see them together before I judge. Lighting is so important and pictures always shift the color.

Hey, thanks, everybody for the well wishes and welcomes. This is a wonderful player's bass which is just what I need, and not so costly that I feel like I'd have to sell it every time I get in a pinch, if you know what I mean. :lol: It's economically designed and made, but as usual, no compromise has been made in materials, fit, and finish. The body wood is seriously dense and heavy, the neck binding (!) and fretboard are perfect, and the bridge and tuners are the best quality. If I may digress and tell you more about why this bass is good for me; you see I'm not really romantic about my basses and this is not a romantic bass. It's a very competent and workmanlike instrument. Playing bass was a job for me for some time when I was younger. I mean I played all the time, it seems, and my basses were considered just tools by me. I have a romance with my guitars, because they inspire my writing, but my basses take a back seat in my esteem because they were hard working and familiar for so long.
All I wanna do is rock!
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Congrats, Kira! That's a cool-looking bass. It looks a lot like my 230 Hamburg guitar, which is also fireglo, and a real rocker. Have fun and enjoy! :D

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”