Report on the Bose L1 compact and L1 type II.

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Hello friends, long time no see....... (Sorry about that, but you know how it is, priorities comes and goes)

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/sho ... /index.jsp

A friend of mine aquired a Bose L1 type II system for use with his
digital drumset (only a bedroom player...). Having read a little about these system
I decided to try one so i borrowed his setup for my last gig which took place in a
quite big hall, 60 * 30 meters or so and about 5 meters to the ceiling.

I also decided to skip the guitar amp this time so my rig was; Guitar, samson wireless,
yamaha magic stomp (the AC30 amp sim setting), zoom 508 for echoes Strachans programs into
the Bose LI. For backings I used my iphone straight into the LI. The whole rig could be carried
by myself alone if I had chosen to do that. Setting up in less than 5 min.............

The sound check was totally stunning! More than enough to handle this big venue and I did not miss
the stereo one bit which I had expected to do. The sound is almost uf the same loudness and quality
no matter where you are in the hall. I walked round in the room using the wireless and was in constant
amazement!

I had quite a few comments from the audience about the clarity of the sound without being deathening
and quite a few asked me where the sound was coming from...........

I decided that the LI type II was a bit of an overkill so I have now bought a LI Compact which I have already
tested in a hall the size of a medium sized pub and the result was as stunning, the less powerful Compact system
sounded exactly the same as the big type II, and the whole room was filled with sound. Even easier to carry......

The whole setup also does itself justice as an integrated part of my living-room where it sounds equally good at
low sound level.

I will probably use my VOX vtx 60 but only to use the amp modeling, won't need it for monitoring so I will
kill the speaker with an earphone-plug.

Anyone else tried this system?

Goran
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: Report on the Bose L1 compact and L1 type II.

Post by jimk »

I've never tried it, let alone heard one live. And the sound check is the one part of this job I really, really, really, hate. So anything that can relieve the tedium is attractive. Bose is sure proud of their sound system, however.
JimK
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Nice review; I know that John Hall has spoken highly of the Bose system. 8)
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I have a lot of first hand experience with these. It is a great-sounding system for quieter bands. You can hear yourself very well without the need for wedge/floor monitors. But IMO it is not good for a rock band unless you have 2-3 of them.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

These are great, especially for a solo act doing the bar scene. Actually, a small band in a bar would benefit greatly from these.

Don't forget that you can also download specific RIckenbacker presets into these with a CD player through the SPDIF interface. Kenny and I spent a day with their engineers getting it right!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

johnhall wrote: Don't forget that you can also download specific RIckenbacker presets into these with a CD player through the SPDIF interface. Kenny and I spent a day with their engineers getting it right!
COOL! I'll check that out...
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

sloop_john_b wrote:
johnhall wrote: Don't forget that you can also download specific RIckenbacker presets into these with a CD player through the SPDIF interface. Kenny and I spent a day with their engineers getting it right!
COOL! I'll check that out...
That was fun!

I had a 1st generation L1 and used it for a lot of solo acoustic shows, until it was stolen from me.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

I've still got mine and lend it out fairly often to friends that have small shows in small venues. It's not like I'm gigging solo at bars obviously! Invariable they all like it but when they see the price . . . well, their old Fender PA's and the like start sounding better all of a sudden.

But the Bose L1 subwoofers with a Little Mark head are simply killer.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

johnhall wrote:But the Bose L1 subwoofers with a Little Mark head are simply killer.
These? http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/sho ... p&color=bl

I'm looking for something small for gigs where the Transonic cab is a bit too much.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Those are the ones! A pair of those and 500 watts- you will not only hear but feel.

Need more, say. to do a small arena? Just add two more cabs plus this:

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/sho ... p&color=nc
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Makes me rethink my next bass rig, especially since playing through JH's LM-II head through the Bose L1's at the past SCARF. I just wish Bose would put the specs of their components on their website. Maybe I can get the specs from my brother. My home theater system is from Bose. I love it.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

But they do:

http://worldwide.bose.com/pro/en_us/*** ... model1.pdf

I know MarkBass does some small cabinets as well; I wonder how they compare?
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Thanks for the link, John, I missed it! :oops:
I like the sound produced by the Markbass heads into other cabinets. I've never been impressed with the sound of most of their cabinets though.
I was thinking about a Markbass LM-III with an Epifani UL-310. Now I'm rethinking.
I wonder if the Bose bass modules would cut it in my band sitaution. Dirty Bison is a bit louder at times than Hautewerk, depending on the music we're doing. I have to cut through two electric guitars, keyboardist and a loud drummer.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

I barely ever open it up, playing at about 3 most of the time. That was true at the Starting Gate.

So, why don't you borrow my rig for a rehearsal some night?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rickenbrother wrote:I like the sound produced by the Markbass heads into other cabinets. I've never been impressed with the sound of most of their cabinets though.
I agree, except for their 406 and 408 cabs, which are very nice. I have not had the opportunity to try the Bose cabs, it would be interesting to check them out with my Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 amp; I should find a local stocking dealer and check them out.

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”