VWOODIE IN BRAZIL

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: VWOODIE IN BRAZIL

Post by jingle_jangle »

Interesting, as I have a number of filled, solvent-impervious epoxies in my arsenal. These are used for potting of electronic circuits and are filled with bakelite powder.

Fascinating that CJ mentions brass as a catalyst; as we all know, Weber carbs use brass jets screwed into a die casting for fuel metering.

I think that there is a quick solution to try here...now I just have to book a ticket and get that motor out of storage in the spare bedroom...
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

BTW alcohol is able to uncouple old sediments in the fuel system. And it is able to regenerate sticky fuel injectors to nearly new. A nice effect!
A fuel filter change after two weeks or after about 600 miles (depends what happens first) is a must do when using alcohol or a mixture of gasoline and alcohol for the first time!

Open the old filter and have a look inside - You will immediately know why. Done a retrofitting for pure alcohol use of my car, the fuel inside the filter was BLACK!
Last edited by Hotzenplotz on Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

jingle_jangle wrote:... Weber carbs use brass jets screwed into a die casting for fuel metering...
I am nearly 100% sure all carbs use brass for fuel metering. - No problem if the inside of all other parts is copper plated. Then the zinc for the reaction is "missing". The only weak point CAN be if at some place in the system the copper coating is too thin or hurt.
But Volkswagen built this for hundreds of thousands fuscas. Could not be too difficult to implement this old method for two Webers.

And to use pure alcohol (o.k., in practice it is 85 to 90 % alcohol and rest is regular fuel to avoid entrainment of water and to calm down the "agressivity" of alcohol) brings a few extra horses! Do not forget that 102-104 octane allow a more output oriented engine timing without causing damage...
Rick

Post by Rick »

Whoa Nelly! That is beyond cool! But it needs a 360 Mapleglo in the back to complete the picture. :)

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”