360F serial # help

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

leftybass
RRF Consultant

Re: 360F serial # help

Post by leftybass »

This would tend to put dating a 360 with ROS as a feature sometime from the middle or latter half of 1960, going by Jeff's and Ron's data.
Jeff Stone

Post by Jeff Stone »

I did take a few photos of the guitar opened up. Close-ups of the pots, switch, wiring, etc. Will post them tonight.
Jeff Stone

Post by Jeff Stone »

Here are a few pictures of the 360F opened up. Pot codes, back of switch and wiring all visible.
Jeff
Attachments
P122040403.jpg
P122040302.jpg
P122040201.jpg
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Great pics...Thanks Jeff.

Also, an interesting cross-section shot of the top wood--two maple veneers and a core of.....Birch? Pine..?
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

leftybass wrote:Great pics...Thanks Jeff. ...
+1! 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Jeff Stone

Post by Jeff Stone »

With the pot codes noted, can the date of mfg be determined?
Thanks, Jeff
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Jeff Stone wrote:With the pot codes noted, can the date of mfg be determined?
Thanks, Jeff

There's little doubt that the pots are original to the guitar. Given the unsystematic serial nos. RIC used in 1960, the pots are the best indicator of date of mfg.

The pot codes date to the 6th week of 1960. Without getting into all the variables, generally speaking, pot code dates precede the mfg. date of guitars of that vintage by about within 2 months or so. IMO April/May of 1960 as the date of mfg is about as close as can be determined from the info .
billydlight

Post by billydlight »

leftybass wrote:Great pics...Thanks Jeff.

Also, an interesting cross-section shot of the top wood--two maple veneers and a core of.....Birch? Pine..?

Yeah that's kinda weird lookin, huh? :shock:
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

There is a thread where Paul W. describes his restoration/refinishing of a 360F. I believe he identifies the wood used in the construction of the body. I can't seem to find the thread.

In any event, unlike the Capri and current semi-hollow bodied guitars, which are made from hollowed-out solid hardwood blanks, the F bodies were made with separate top, back and side pieces.
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

libratune wrote:In any event, unlike the Capri and current semi-hollow bodied guitars, which are made from hollowed-out solid hardwood blanks, the F bodies were made with separate top, back and side pieces.
There were also F series bodies made from solid blanks and hollowed out, I have seen several like this. I think they did them both ways.
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
Jeff Stone

Post by Jeff Stone »

Hello Rick Resource. The 360F (1959 mfg?) still hangs on my wall and I am wondering about the value of this guitar. Condition is exactly as depicted in my prior photos. I do not have a case. Being a bass player, I am feeling bad about this guitar not receiving the love and attention it deserves.

Side note: I did find the original receipt for the purchase of this guitar. May dad bought this 360F on 4-8-60 at Cordova Village Music Center in Sacramento. Total purchase price was $279.00 plus $1.15 (strap?) and $0.15 (picks?) for a total of $280.30 plus sales tax of $11.22. He put down a $150 deposit and paid the balance on 5-8-1960, a few days after my second birthday. Cool history,

Hoping you Ric experts can give me some guidance on value and sale of this time piece. Thank you, Jeff Stone

Je

Jeff
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Hi Jeff, I think we confirmed from the SN and the pot dates (sixth week of 1960) that your guitar is a 1960 build.

First thing I would do before selling it is to get a case to protect the guitar. The original cases for these first generation F bodies are extremely hard to find. I have two of mine in archtop cases, the one shown here is in a brown Gibson reissue case. Make sure to get one that will accommodate the 17" width on the lower bout. Inside length should be minimum of 42.5". Also if you're preparing to sell and ship, you'll want to get a guitar-sized shipping box. Sometimes these are available from music stores.

As far as a place to sell it, reverb.com is a pretty good site for vintage stuff, they only do musical instruments, mostly guitars, basses and amps. Opening an account with them is fairly simple. Ebay is another alternative, but you'll likely get a lot of tire-kickers there.

As to pricing, the vintage market is a bit soft these days, but rare items like yours in really nice shape would definitely attract interest. I'd say start at $12.5K and accept offers.

Hope this helps. Maybe others will chime in.

Good luck!
10-fullsize.jpg
'
Jeff Stone

Post by Jeff Stone »

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. Yes, a case sis an important piece and I’ll do some hunting for one. Will take a peak over at reverb.com. Thank YOU, Jeff

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”