Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Re: Non-Rickenbacker Fretless Basses Sub-Forum

Post by Ivan3000 »

jps wrote:This...
P4-5 Competizione.jpg
...would be riding in style! :mrgreen:
Right now I'm riding a modded girlbike that is blue and black...it has 18inch tires. I ride'em till they die, this ones doing great though.
This is riding in style: (I would assume you get it, im a fan too)

Or my dream car
Macca's car her crashed and "died"
I couldnt resist, i like this movie too much.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Speaking of cars, last night I had my first full gig with my DB. Yes, in this instance, DB means double bass, not David Brown of Aston Martin. In a little town north of where I live, they have a monthly classic car "cruise-in" on the public square: cordon off the streets, have a pot luck dinner, music, etc. A friend of mine got asked to provide the band, and he called me and a couple of other guys. So we showed up, set up, and played a 2 1/2 hour gig of everything from old country to new country, rockabilly, rock-n-roll, classic rock etc. The weather was perfect. We rocked. More people showed up, more classic, antique, restored, rodded, etc., cars showed up, and stayed longer than at any other cruise-in this year. The square was packed.

Yes, its one thing to play a gig such as this on any conventional electric bass, but I did it on an upright. You expect Hank Williams, Sr.'s song, "Tear In My Beer Over You," on an upright, but Dwight Yocum's rendition of Elvis' hit, "Little Sister"?! CCR, Waylon, Willie, Jerry, Johnny, "The Killer"? -- yes, you see it coming: I even played Skynard on an upright! My friend loved it. He has always wanted to play a gig with the bassist on upright, but never had the opportunity until now. I have been told that this is the instrument I am to bring for all gigs to come.

I had a blast. No blisters. I have been working up to this since Christmas. Better yet: since the endpin supported the weight instead of my shoulder, I had no back pain the next day. Because the ergonomics are totally different, I had no elbow, wrist or thumb pain, either, the reasons for my custom fanned fret electric bass.

Looking forward to the next gig. Oh, the irony of it all: I got this instrument for my jazz band, and I've done just about everything but a jazz band gig with it so far. But that will change when the weather gets cooler as autumn approaches and people start entertaining themselves indoors again, usually with dancing, instead of outdoors. I can hardly wait! :mrgreen:
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

I've always wanted to someday do a carshow gig!
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I like your paint job, Ivan! :)
All I wanna do is rock!
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

[bert bought an Ibanez MC900 FL]
cjj wrote:Very nice! You'll have to let us know how it sounds!
8) 8) 8)
I've sold it. It did not sound as nice as my 4001 FL. It was considerably less easy to play than the 4001 FL. (This was the first time I really noticed the difference in scale length between a Rick and a 34 inch bass.) Someday I will own a 4001/3 with an ebony board.
68 4001|73 4001 MG|75 4000 MG|79 4001 JG FL|81 4001S AZG|86 4003 MID/BT|86 4003 Shadow|88 4003s Blackstar|89 4003 Grey/BT FL|93 4004 Ci|96 4003S/8 FG|98 4003S/5 JG|05 650D|05 4004Cii/5 TG|08 660/12 JG|18 4003S/5 MID|19 4003S/5 WAL ||TR35B|RB 30||
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

kiramdear wrote:I like your paint job, Ivan! :)
Thank you! I appreciate it!
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Update: the last two weekeneds, I've had two gigs on upright, one for an FFA barnwarming with a friend as a favor, yes, playing everything from classic country to classic rock (yes, both Merle and Skynerd in the same gig) and the most recently, FINALLY!!!!, last Saturday night, my first full gig with my jazz/dance band, the raison d'etre for purchasing an upright in the first place. OH MAN! The gig was so much better than the same gig last year on electric bass. Everything flowed. Right in the pocket. The horns' phrasing was so much better, especially on the swing and standards charts. We immediately got booked for next year. Of course, I took my 4002 as a backup and to play on a couple of tunes that, well, just need electric instead of upright. It was good to gig the 4002 again. It had been awhile.

So I'm up and running. Last night another friend who runs another jazz/dance band asked me to tentatively pencil in New Year's Eve in Kansas City. Now that would mean I had arrived: playing upright, on a jazz gig, on New Year's Eve, in Kansas City. I got to see Count Basie all those years ago on his last tour before he died, when I was in grad school at Mizzou, and so the opportunity to play Basie charts in Kansas City has me absolutely pumped. I hope my friend is able to book the gig. He's not gigged with an upright for decades, either, and you should have seen his eyes light up when I asked if he wanted electric or upright. Upright of course!
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

Good deal, Scott; hopefully you get the gig. I think you'll find that playing a double bass will get you gigs up to your eyeballs if you want them.
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Thanks!
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

OK. The New Years' gig did not pan out -- the band leader could not come to acceptable terms. BUT...that same leader has asked me to sit in, so between the two bands I have a few gigs with both bands lined up. Here's what's ironic: he got the Valentine's day gig for the dance club away from my other band who used to have the gig. But he hired me to play it. So I'm still playing the same gig, at the same place, playing about the same charts, just with a few different guys to my left!!! Life is grand.

Key to playing every weekend: triple. Learn bass guitar, double bass and tuba. You will get so many requests you will have to turn some down in order to stay married!!! :mrgreen: (That is not that far off-track; when I got married my wife had known me for several years, knew that I played a lot, and that I was the bass player in three different bands then. But I have actually turned down gigs to stay at home at appropriate times.)

Return to “The Low End”