Offset bridge question, Fender Jazzmaster CP MIM

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Offset bridge question, Fender Jazzmaster CP MIM

Post by jdogric12 »

Curious... what can I replace the TOM bridge on my '08 CP MIM Fender Jazzmaster with, that will look and work like a JM bridge, but fit the posts? [Guitar is at the shop getting some nut work done so I don't have it handy for another week or so.]
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Offset bridge question, Fender Jazzmaster CP MIM

Post by jingle_jangle »

I've seen these, and have one on one of my JMs, but I've no idea who stocks them...sorry. At least you know they exist(ed?).
Bassmouse

Post by Bassmouse »

Have you tried the Mastery bridge? It is made for Jaguars and Jazzmasters, and is designed to give them a little bit more sustain and depth than the standard bridge, without losing too much of the unique character which makes them what they are. They are pretty popular with the people over on the Offset Guitars Forum. :D

Here is a quick link for you - http://www.masterybridge.com/

I hope that this is of some help to you, and best of luck with your project!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Agreed. The only drawback to the Mastery (which several of us here use, too!) is its relatively high MSRP. ($173.00 as of this writing)

The quality, however, is matchless!
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

173$ is, IMO, way too much to spend on a bridge for a guitar that costs 700$. (I'm saying this as someone who owns a CP Jazzmaster)

Any particular reason why you want to change out the Adjusto'Matic bridge? I find that it works excellent. You also have to remember that CP Jazzmasters have a 9.5" neck radius, unlike the 7.5" radius of vintage Jazzmasters and the AVRI model, which may or may not be something to consider when looking at a regular JM bridge for your CP.

Also, if you want to use the Mastery on your CP, you have to buy their thimbles for the posts to sit correctly. (Bringing the total to a little over 190$ + shipping)
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The Mastery adjusts to accommodate all the neck radii you list. It's also possible to use stock thimbles fitted with brass tubing adapters, which cost less than a buck.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

jingle_jangle wrote:The Mastery adjusts to accommodate all the neck radii you list. It's also possible to use stock thimbles fitted with brass tubing adapters, which cost less than a buck.
Right, I said "when looking at regular Jazzmaster bridges". :) I know you can adjust the Mastery but I don't know that you can adjust stock JM bridges. Regardless of those facts, my initial point that 170$+ is too much to spend on a bridge for a 700$ guitar still stands.

Of course, it's Jason's money and he can spend it on whatever. But the Mastery bridge was created to alleviate the problems that the CP Jazzmaster fixes, with the TOM bridge and closer Trem placement. So you'll be spending a lot of money for little improvement (in my opinion) on that particular model.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Well, Erik, I did mention that I thought the price could be a drawback...and it's true; my Jags and JMs are either CIJ or AVRI or handmade AVRI variations, not CPs.

Anyhow, I'm on my third one, and they do the job for me.

libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Love that pickguard!

C'mon, Paul, let's have a full-body photo of that checker-bound Jazzer!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Yeah! Do like what I can see so far...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
timberic

Post by timberic »

Bassmouse wrote:Have you tried the Mastery bridge? It is made for Jaguars and Jazzmasters, and is designed to give them a little bit more sustain and depth than the standard bridge, without losing too much of the unique character which makes them what they are. They are pretty popular with the people over on the Offset Guitars Forum. :D

Here is a quick link for you - http://www.masterybridge.com/

I hope that this is of some help to you, and best of luck with your project!
+1
Pricey, but worth it.
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

Don't know if it will fit your posts, J, but it sounds like you need an adjustable mustang bridge. Warmoth sells them. As Erik said, a Jazzmaster bridge or regular mustang bridge will not fit your radius.
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

Love it! :)
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Neat!

Update... I bought a replacement neck since the stock one was un-set-uppable. The replacement I bought turned out to be a counterfeit. I'm currently going through the process to get my money back through an eBay Buyer Protection claim. If I ever get this mess sorted and get a neck on the guitar that works, I'll look into the bridge! :evil:

Nice JM, PW!!! :D

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”