A Good Ric Guitar Technician in UK

Reports from the United Kingdom
david/wales/u.k

A Good Ric Guitar Technician in UK

Post by david/wales/u.k »

I love my 330 but since I've had it in August this year I've had lots of irritations with it. I had a professional set up on it but wasn't happy as the strings were 'chocking'..(RIC 10's)...The luthier again looked at it briefly but no difference. I then had Rosetti to take a look at it and they, I was told, ignored the set up that had been done to it and put it back to their own settings..Bear in mind that I'm not technically minded at all, however,their report said that the truss rod was at the end of it's adjustment (loose) but that it was playable and the report said that it had been repaired........When it came back to me I was very happy and it sounded and felt great. ( I was told, by the shop, that the rods would only need to be tightened if I put heavier gauge strings on it )
However, a few weeks ago I had a slight rattle coming from the bridge ( not long after I changed the strings, one by one, RIc 10s)...I ignored it and it seemed to right itself quite well..Now though, in the last few days the rattle has come back big time and it's driving me mad.....It is mainly on the treble strings.........slight
buzzing on open strings, worse on the fret positions such as 3rd fret high E string etc (not exclusive to just that)....It is like a buzz/rattle, almost like a twinkling noise coming from the bridge. If you hit the string and then mute it, you can hear the metallic like echo pinging from the bridge.
Anyway, does anyone know of a good guitar tech here in the U.K.........I love the sound of the guitar but it shouldn't be making this noise....I have had £200 guitars that didn't make that rattle noise....I would have to post it to them but it would be worth it as the guitar, when not making this noise, is too good to be sold and I don't want to do that....
I'm soon to buy a decent amp but I want the guitar at a 100 percent.........Thanks
david/wales/u.k

Re: A Good Ric Guitar Technician in UK

Obviously not :(
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

This is the best guy in the U.K., in my opinion:

http://www.dm-guitars.co.uk/repairs.htm

Not exactly conveniently located to you, unfortunately.
Pumpkinhead

Post by Pumpkinhead »

Not sure where you are in Wales, but if you're at the top end, maybe North-West England isn't too far?

I've used Steve Robinson, aka Manchester Guitar Tech for many years and would recommend him very highly.

I know he's worked on Rics as one one of my visits he had an original 1960s Rose Morris 1997 model in for repair!

Apologies if this isn't of any help.
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

PM sent.
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

I you would like me to give you some advice or actually fix it and you're near Herefordshire, shoot me a pm.
david/wales/u.k

I've decided to take it to Dan MacPherson, as recommended by Mr Hall. I love the guitar and want an expert to set it up 'right'. It's gotta be about 6 hrs drive away (especially with my car :( ) but hopefully it'll be worth it. Will have to wait a while though as he isn't accepting any more work for a while.
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

Let us know how you get on.
david/wales/u.k

Will do
parker_knoll

Post by parker_knoll »

i had a fantastic refret off Andy Gibson in London, if anyone else is looking