What orchestra's have you seen? or heard?

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

malcolm

What orchestra's have you seen? or heard?

Post by malcolm »

i'm fortunate to be from philly. I've heard this orchestra live & have read enough to know that this orchestra is among the best in the world.

the philly orchestra is famous for the sound from the string section...which may be traced back to the 60's & conductor eugene ormandy.for a taste of this "sound", check out bela bartok's "concerto for orchestra" on sony records,recorded around 62/63. it is lush & beautiful.

being a bassist,i can also say that this current bass section is excellent,w/ the great harold robinson & also michael shahan,the bassist who christian mcbride studied with.

i also hope to see the boston symphony in the next year.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I grew up with The Cleveland Orchestra, having seen them since I was in elementary school, that would be the George Szell days!
byu
Intermediate Member

Post by byu »

I have recordings of both the previously mentioned orchestras and they're both phenomenal. I'm fortunate to live in Chicago & see the CSO fairly often. I did a research paper on them my sophomore year in college.

If anyone's from Cincinnati, my cousin was principal bassist for years in the '70s, '80s & '90s. He held the distinction (& may still hold it) of being the youngest principal bassist in a major symphony orchestra in the country. He lives in San Fran now. His name is Barry Green if anyone recognizes the name. He's written several well reviewed books including "The Inner Game of Music"

Cheers,
Bill
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Sure I know that name, he has done much for education, especially for young up and coming bassists, correct?
malcolm

Post by malcolm »

i believe i've read about barry green in "double bassist" magazine...will have to go back & check.

jeff,was george szell the conductor? i've heard the name, but know little about him.
who conducts tco now?

i do have the cleveland orchestra w/ pierre boulez conducting 3 fantastic,contemporary compositions by olivier messiaen.if you know messiaen,these pieces are definitely "out", compared to his other works.
byu
Intermediate Member

Post by byu »

That's him Jeffrey. I remember about 10 or so years ago he brought a group of kids here to perform at the a local college.
Cheers,
Bill
byu
Intermediate Member

Post by byu »

That's him Jeffrey. I remember about 10 or so years ago he brought a group of kids here to perform at a local college.
Cheers,
Bill
byu
Intermediate Member

Post by byu »

I hate these double posts.
claudel

Post by claudel »

I saw the San Francisco Symphony with Metallica a few years ago.

That was a great show. Better than I expected.

Claude
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Szell was the conductor in the '60s and into the mid '70s I believe. Currently we have Franz Welszer-Most(sp)who is really a great educator himself.
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

I saw the St. Louis orchestra play Carmina Burana for my birthday one year.

A-freeeeking-mazing. Best concert I have ever been to.
"The only worthwhile conquests are those wrested from ignorance"
-Napoleon
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I've avoided this because I know I'll misspell names, apologies in advance, but here we go... I live in L.A., a stones throw from the Hollywood bowl, so I've seen Zubin Mehta conduct our own Orchestra a few times, as well as having seen Itzak Perlman play. I've attended dozens of classical concerts there. And I've seen rock concerts there, too. Everyone from Humble Pie (w/Framton) to Sting. When I lived in Hawaii I saw Yehudi Menuhin perform with the Honolulu Orchestra.
malcolm

Post by malcolm »

PBS is currently showing opening night @ Carnegie Hall, hosted by peter jennings,with the philly orchestra doing their thing, backing vocalist renee fleming & yo yo ma doing strauss's don quixote.
it'll probably repeat a couple times around...so check your cable listings.
malcolm

Post by malcolm »

wormdiet, i have a samuel barber cd, with the st louis orchestra, doing many barber masterpieces, such as "adagio for strings", "essay for orchestra", "2nd essay for orchestra" & "violin concerto", which is one of the greatest. imo, barber's music is beautiful,yet complex, with great intensity & dynamics. barber is under-rated vs his contemporaries.

i believe this is a mid 1980's recording with conductor leonard slatkin & elmar oliveira on violin, i've heard of neither.
check it out...it is great music.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”